Move card to a new project but keep Sprint

Jason J_ Fedelem April 29, 2024

I'm currently working on splitting one project into two.  This project has been around since 2019 and has a lot of historical data, but the part that is splitting out is pretty small.  Somewhere around 1000 cards.

Its mostly going well.  However, it keeps dropping the Sprint info when I move it from old project to new project.  I've verified that the sprints are available in both projects.  So, I can assign it to Sprints that are intended for the new project while its in the old project and vice versa.  But as soon as I move the card to the new project, the info drops off the card.  

This is going to get really hairy if i can't maintain this info.  I don't see a way to do it in Automation either, but maybe I'm not being creative enough.

Thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vasyl Krokha April 30, 2024

Hi @Jason J_ Fedelem 

Sprints are indeed tied to boards, not projects, and projects are tied to boards via the JQL filter that defines a board's scope.

The challenge is cheating and including the old project into JQL without issues. You could try to add a non-existing issue to the old project in the JQL of your new board.

Vasyl

Jason J_ Fedelem April 30, 2024

So I solved this in a kludgy way, but it was fast and will work in our situation.  

1. Created "short text" field

2. Created an automation rule that says that whenever labels are updated, copy sprint field to the short text field.

3. Bulk added a label to the relevant issues and verified that the info copied

4. Moved all the issues

5. Went back and for the cards in future sprints used JQL search on the short text field and reassigned them.

Not sure I'd recommend this solution but in my case its good enough and lets me move on.

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2024

Hi @Jason J_ Fedelem ,

The issue is the Sprint is tied to the original project. You can possibly use the bulk update feature to make a bulk update to that sprint. That's probably the simplest method to take.

Hope this helps.

Jason J_ Fedelem April 30, 2024

Thanks for the response! 

That was my original thought, but everything I can find on here says that sprints don't belong to projects.  Also, I created sprints while in the new project so if they did belong to a project they'd belong to that one.

I then tried to move them to the new sprint that was created while I was in the new project first.  That worked, but then when I moved the cards to the new project, they lost the sprint info.

Probably something simple I'm missing.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events