Move an issue to a subtask

dennish_dcsorg_com December 31, 2019

We have a project with multiple issues. If I have an issue TEST1 and an issue TEST2 in project TEST, is it possible to move issue TEST2 into TEST1 as a subtask? Both task and subtask workflows are identical. Ideally I'd like it to move based on a field value changing. I looked at Automation for Jira but I can't find that combo in their available options.

Manually it works fine. I'm looking for a way to automate this.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

Hi @dennish_dcsorg_com  - Yes, you should be able to convert Test2 to a sub-task. Choose the additional options 3 dot menu and select Convert to sub-task. 

dennish_dcsorg_com December 31, 2019

Sorry, I should clarify, manually it isn't an issue. I'd like to automate the process based on a field changing.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

Ah, that's much harder. I don't think there is any tool that will do that for your as there are so many possible problems involved. I know that Automation For Jira will automate the creation of a sub-task, but not moving an issue. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2020

John is right, moving an issue to a new type is fraught with possible conflicting setups, so there's nothing that automates it - Jira will, in most cases, need to ask the humans for information to update during the change.  While it is technically possible to automate, no-one has published anything to do it because there are just so many things they'd have to code for.  Where people have written things, it's for specific cases for a single site, not generalised.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2020

@dennish_dcsorg_com  - If this answered your question, can you click on the Accept answer button to close this out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer