Move a board or issues from one company to another?

Tony McKenzie July 1, 2021

Hi.

I am new to Jira so not very comfortable in it's setup/options.

I have just inherited a project from another company.

I would like to get the issues from a team managed board owned by them onto a team managed board owned by me.

Can I:

1. move the entire board from their ownership to mine?

2. move the tickets in bulk?

Any advice would be welcome.

2 answers

1 vote
Tony McKenzie July 2, 2021

@Trudy Claspill 

Hi Trudy

Thanks for responding.

Yes, the project is in a different Jira instance.

The company that currently own the Jira project will, soon, stop working on it and we need to get the tickets into our own instance of Jira.

I hope that I don't have to recreate each of the many tickets manually. There are a number of tickets with historic info/comms which would be lost.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Is the source site also Jira Cloud? If so, per the following article, moving individual projects directly from one Jira Cloud site to another is not specifically supported.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/merge-multiple-instances-of-jira-cloud-779160767.html

But it does outline available work arounds.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

I also just saw this post where another community member said they recently moved a Jira project from one Cloud instance to another. Maybe if you reach out to that person they can tell you the details of what they did.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/After-transitioning-a-project-from-one-cloud-instance-to-another/qaq-p/1740221

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2021

Hello @Tony McKenzie 

To be clear, is this project in a different Jira instance?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events