Most active user per project

Gregory Kremer May 21, 2021

Hi everybody,

There is statistics in each JIRA project, called "This week most active". It just displays users' avatars without any specifics. Is there a way to quantify users' activity in a project, without parsing activity logs, etc.? For example... What user has most updates, comments, or any other changes in a specific project? Or something like that. I'd appreciate any assistance.

3 answers

0 votes
Heiko Fürstmann October 17, 2022

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2021

Hi @Gregory Kremer

there are Apps available from Marketplace which promise be capable of providing this kind of insight - some of them are indeed for Cloud.

Requirements like your current one remind me of the intention a client had in the past for seeing "most active users" statistics - it is very similar.
Not so much the technical aspects were the road blocker but more the legal side. Depending on where your teams sit and which industrial sector you are belonging to the in-depth information you are asking for is probably restricted by some kind of regulation (not directly prohibited but we encountered the fact that employees would have to sign an agreement - that would have been too much effort, we had to neglect the whole idea).

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Well.. using OOTB features I would think about creating a dashboard and simply play with some gadgets and settings. You should be able to get some basic statistics..

If you want to track things like edits, comments that is a bit more tricky.. I do not think that would be possible from the UI.. I would think about parsing the logs and simply visualizing this somehow

There might be also a plugin but I personally never heard of any that would cover all .. Of course there are couple that add gamification which is some kind of way to measure user activity..

Gregory Kremer May 24, 2021

Well, thank you for your reply. Frankly, I've expected more. Why would Atlassian provide the option to view "This week most active" without any details? There could be someone, who monitors a project, like an issue watcher, that viewed this issue several times per day, which made him "most active" without adding anything useful. Right? But having him listed as being "active", without knowing what he actually did, provides most useless information. We would have been better off not having this option at all.

Suggest an answer