Monthly Tasks that are identical - easy way to "reset" task or other better solution?

jamie royce June 26, 2020

I am using Jira to track maintenance projects as mentioned in a separate post and everything is working great expect that a monthly task needs to be tracked and it is identical month to month for about 100 clients. 

What would be the best solution: 

A. I create new tasks each month manually? 

B. Bulk load new tasks using CSV importer?

C. Reopen each task for the new month and change the dates? 

In writing this I guess that bulk loading the new task is probably the best option, but I would like some feedback from the community or suggests if there is a better way to deal with these identical repeating tasks.  

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2020

Hi Jamie,

There are a few apps on the Atlassian Marketplace that set out to address this use case. Depending on how complex these issues are and how often they need to recur, the apps might be the easiest thing to set up. Several provide very clean interfaces for managing recurring tasks.

Jira's Automation engine (built-in on Cloud, uses the Automation for Jira or Automation for Jira Lite apps on Server) can also create issues for you based on a cron expression. Check out this Community thread for an example of how to set that up:

Personally, I would opt for doing this with the assistance of an app or automation rather than re-opening tasks or using the CSV importer. It would mean less ongoing work, and remove the possibility of someone forgetting to open/import the issues.

Cheers,
Daniel

jamie royce July 12, 2020

Thank you and this makes sense. I'll check out this app. 

jamie royce July 12, 2020

I'm trying out the Automation for Jira Lite and need help to find an option that allows an automation step to be applied on all results of a jquery. 

Is there a way to automatically create tasks on multiple projects at the same time? 

Otherwise I could create a "monthly tasks" project and include each client task under this "project". 

What do you suggest? 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2020

Glad you're finding something that seems to be making sense for your environment.

To create multiple issues at the same time, you can just add more actions in the Automation rule:

image.png

Depending on how often you need the issues create and how diverse the projects are, you could also have multiple automation rules to keep things organized. For example, one rule for each client. The issues can be created in whatever projects you need; the details of the issue / project are set for each "Create a new" action in your rules.

need help to find an option that allows an automation step to be applied on all results of a jquery

I'm a little unsure of what the goal is for this bit - could you go into more detail? Sounds interesting!

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2020

Hi Jamie,

I agree with Daniel - you should definitely be able to automate this and not do manual uploads. 

The question for me is what triggers the need to create a new issue. In other words, what happens? Is it just the passing of a date? Or the closing of another issue? Or some other trigger? 

jamie royce June 27, 2020

Hi John, 

It is triggered by the passing of a date. Every month certain actions need to be done for each client. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2020

Then I would create an Automation For Jira Scheduled trigger that runs at the beginning of each month and performs the needed actions. 

Like jamie royce likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events