Migration of data between an end-of-life plug-in to a Jira custom field

Jack Pattison March 28, 2023

We're going through an upgrade cycle, from 7.13.6 to 8.20, we have a plug in called agility checklist (with Definition of Ready & Definition of Done) of which is end of life and support and we cannot get an update of this plug in or a license etc.

our business needs some sort of functionality like agility checklist, this is stopping us upgrading and therefore putting us at risk.

I have 2 options I see fit but not sure how to finish them off

1. extract & import the the data using rest/api from agility checklist to a custom field (success criteria)

2. extract & import the data using the PostgresQL DB from agility checklist to a custom field (success criteria)

I need to keep all historical data

any help would be greatly appreciated, this is stopping an essential upgrades and maintenance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maxime Lefebvre _Okapya_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi Jack,

Which type of field is your destination custom field (success criteria)? Or have you not yet chosen which product will replace Agility checklists?

If you are using Checklist for Jira, you can use Jira's REST API to migrate your data into issues. (We also have ScriptRunner samples, and support CSV import.)

I believe Agility checklists stores their information in entity properties (issue's properties), so you would get the data first from there.

Kind regards,
Maxime

Hi Maxime, 

Yes, I want to put it in success criteria, I've added that field to all of my screens so it available for all boards to use, I just need a way of copying the thousands of lines of data from agility checklist easily into success criteria.. 

Maxime Lefebvre _Okapya_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the clarifications. But which type of field is Success Criteria? The type of field will affect which kind of data migration will take place.

You can see which type it is in your Custom Fields list.

Kind regards,
Maxime

Jack Pattison March 29, 2023

its just a simple text field, multi line. 

thank you 

Jack 

Maxime Lefebvre _Okapya_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2023

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the information.

Then I think you can retrieve Agility checklist data using entity properties (see retrieve data section) REST API.

Depending on how they data is stored, you may want to modify it before inserting it into your success criteria field.

Then use Jira's REST API Edit Issue method to update your success criteria field with the string value.

You can use scripting languages like Bash, JavaScript or Python to do the work (or ScriptRunner inside your Jira instance).

I hope it helps!
Maxime

Like Jack Pattison likes this
1 vote
Oleksandr Siryi_Railsware_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2023

Hi, @Jack Pattison and welcome to the community.

Have you considered migrating to a different checklist plugin? 

You can have the functionality for checklists and checklist templates for DoR and DoD with Smart Checklist and you can import your data via CSV import

Let me know a bit more about what is it that you need exactly from a checklist and I'll try to be a bit more helpful.

Cheers,

Oleksandr

Hi Oleksandr, 

I do not wish to move to another plug-in, I want to put it in success criteria, I've added that field to all of my screens so it available for all boards to use, I just need a way of copying the thousands of lines of data from agility checklist easily into success criteria.. 

Suggest an answer