Migration Error Jira Server to Cloud

Macsay_Consulting June 22, 2020

We are testing out the migration process from our in house Jira Server to the Cloud and everything works except for the user portion of the migration and getting this error.

Error importing data: cloud.atlassian.logmon.laas.api.PrivacySafeException: Privacy-safe boxing of a com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.identity.UsersImportService$WrappingCrowdException

4 answers

1 vote
Piotr Janik July 12, 2020
0 votes
Fábio W. [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 25, 2020

Hello all,

In case you run into this error message while performing a site import in the Jira cloud, please refer to the following KB for additional guidance:

We compiled some checks and verifications you can try before attempting a new import. We hope that helps.

Best,

Fábio

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2020

Hello @Macsay_Consulting,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

I can see that you are using a Jira Free site that has a limit of 10 licensed users.

What may be happening is that, when migrating, there are more than 10 users receiving the license and when the 11th user is migrated, the error appears.

The best option, in this case, is to deactivate users before creating the backup. It's necessary to make sure that they are not part of the default group jira-software-users. 

Also, disable the product in Jira Cloud, so they won't be automatically added to the product (Cog icon > User management > Product access). 

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.37.41.png

Another option is also to upgrade your plan to Standard, migrate to Cloud and then downgrade to Free again.

Regards,
Angélica

Kenneth Macsay June 24, 2020

I tried both approaches but it still stops at the same point with the same error.  The strange thing is that after the operation fails and I go and look at my cloud instance and I see two new added users but one of them is not an activated user in my on premise server.  Any ideas.

And thank you very much for your reply.

All my users on our internal Jira Server are in the Jira Internal Directory.  I have over 500 users but only 9 users with access to Jira Software and 3 users with access to Jira Service Desk.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 26, 2020

Thank you for the details, Kenneth.

Checking similar cases, the best option would be to start a free trial of the Standard or Premium plan.

If it doesn't work, then please, contact our Migration support on support.atlassian.com/support, so they can access your site and wipe all the data, before a new migration and also, it will be possible to share the backup with them, so it's possible to check more details if the migration fails again.

Kenneth Macsay June 26, 2020

I discovered there were two user accounts that had the same e-mail addresses that were the same.  Once I modified the e-mail address, ran the export and then the import worked.  Thanks for your help.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2020

Are the users in your Jira Server internal or through AD?

Thanks for your reply Kristin.  All my users on our internal Jira Server are in the Jira Internal Directory.  I have over 500 users but only 9 users with access to Jira Software and 3 users with access to Jira Service Desk.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events