Migration Assistant "couldn't authenticate your cloud site"

Martijn Bloemheuvel March 2, 2021

I'm attempting to migrate our selfhosted Jira Software instance to a cloud instance using the Migration Assistant. However the Migration Assistant fails to authenticate to the Cloud instance that I've set up for the migration.

I'm taking the following steps to get to the error:

Under the Assess step, when it's time to Connect to cloud, I see the cloud instance I want to migrate to (currently standard trial) in the "Migrate to" dropdown.

I set our base url in the "Migrate from" field and I authenticate.

I get kicked back to the "Connect to cloud" step, a popup shows with the error "We couldn't authenticate your cloud site".

There aren't any outgoing firewall rules that should apply. But just to check I successfully pulled the index pages of atlassian.com and my cloud url using wget from the server in question.

I've tried logging out and logging back in to both instances to create new sessions just to be safe, no change.

I'm unsure how to proceed, clearly the cloud instance is found and I have access rights to both (I'm the only user on the cloud instance). Otherwise the cloud instance wouldn't show in the dropdown.

For completions sake, I have the exact same experience if I try to authenticate when creating a migration under the Manage Your Migration step.

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew Forrest September 18, 2023

Did you get an answer to this Martijn? I am seeing the same problem.

I do not have any outbound firewall rules in operation.

Martijn Bloemheuvel September 18, 2023

The good news is I managed to resolve it, the bad news is that 2 years later, I can't tell you how. I can check later to see if I have notes.

Sorry, undoubtedly not the answer you were hoping for.

Andrew Forrest September 18, 2023

Thanks for responding at least! If you can remember/find out how you did it, please do post here!

(The only suggestions I could find online are either to do with outbound firewalling—not the case for me. Or else something to do with proxying. I *am* proxying my local JIRA instance, so I wonder if that might be the problem…)

Andrew Forrest September 19, 2023

Aaaargh! It’s a browser-incompatibility issue!

I was previously using Safari (which is stricter on 3rd-party site accesses).

It worked when I tried in Chrome.

0 votes
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2021

Hi there,

Good day. Welcome to the Atlassian community. 

Can you confirm if the firewall setting of your system matches the Firewall setup guide below?

Also, can you confirm that you are the site admin on both server and cloud?

- Sri Kumar

Ujjwal Zha December 17, 2022

Hi Sri kumar,

I am also facing same error and check firewall to and came to know that firewall is already disabled.

Suggest an answer