Migrating from Cloud to Data Center

Crystal Baker July 20, 2022

Hi all, I was able to go to System > Backup Manager > Backup for Server in my jira cloud instance, and created a backup file. However, now I'm not sure how to actually import that file into jira data center. 

If anyone has suggestions on importing the backup file (and defining where I want the elements to actually go), I'd greatly appreciate the help. 

4 answers

3 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

If you're importing the entire site into an empty Data Center (no projects), it's a simple matter as outlined in this note: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-938846963.html

If you're importing the site into an already-populated Jira Data Center instance, you need to have an intermediate blank instance that's the same version as your existing instance.  You then do a Cloud -> DC migration and then DC -> DC migration.  This link may help. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-a-project-from-backup-938847691.html

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2022

I am trying to do this as well (import a cloud backup into a DC instance). I've already ran the DC installer and am logged into that Jira instance (completely blank DC instance). Do I have to uninstall and re-install to get back to the wizard to perform the import (as step #4 indicates in the linked article (See screenshot below))? Or is there a way from the System -> Import and Export section?

image.png

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

Hi @Crystal Baker ,

The cloud backup is a complete backup, so it will overwrite all existing data in your data center instance.

Check out this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-938846963.html

Crystal Baker October 21, 2022

Yeah, that approach was problematic since we were migrating 2 projects into a shared enterprise site with more than 30 projects. So...I didn't go that way.

0 votes
Crystal Baker October 21, 2022

Hey all, thanks for the engagement. I ended up with so many issues on fields like comments, assignees, and dates, that I went the route of csv import with individual mappings. I did the "External System Import" option under jira admin > System. 

I also ended up making a few custom fields as holding tanks for those problematic fields, and then using bulk edit to fix them after import. It was cumbersome but at least I was able to minimize data loss. I only imported aroudn 6000 issues so the white glove approach worked for me. 

Good luck to all of you out there who are moving your data!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events