Migrate the vales of a custom field to another one

David Pleşu April 5, 2023

Hello,

I have a custom field X, single-select type  with a lot of values ( 200-300), i want to migrate the values to another custom field multi-select type. Is it hard because are a lot of values to introduce the manually. How should i proceed ?

BR,

David.

1 answer

1 vote
Kristopher Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

If you are a System Administrator, you can do this by leveraging the ‘External System Import’

The steps would be as follows:

1. Create a JQL which contains the issues that should have the value copied to the new field. This clause should probably be in there “customFieldName is not empty”
  2. save this as a filter
  3. adjust the columns to include the following: Key, Summary, Issue Type,customeFieldName,Project (only if you are adjusting issues across multiple projects)
  4. export the issues to .csv with just the filter columns
  5. go to the external system import select the file you just exported
  6. map the fields accordingly
  7. begin import

In order to updates issues instead of importing new issues you will need to map the Summary, Key, and Issue Type + whatever fields you want updated. If you are updating across several projects, make sure to choose defined in .csv and when you are mapping fields you must include, project name, project type, project key.

David Pleşu April 5, 2023

Is working, but the problem is that i have a lot of values that are not used in issues, but i need them in this new custom field also

Suggest an answer