Migrate one Jira project from one cloud instance to another

gabriella.simonian June 15, 2020

Hi everyone, 

I've just wrapped up a project with a client where we have been using my org's Jira cloud. The client have their own Jira cloud instance and would like to effectively migrate the project from our instance to theirs. 

My understanding is that the only way we can do this is by providing them with an export of our entire instance (including all projects), which obviously we can't do. Also, I'm not sure what the impact of having different workflows set up is.  

Does anyone know any other way of doing this, or is it simply not possible? 

Note that the client don't only want the existing backlog, but ideally all PBIs completed  and relevant reporting attached to previous sprints, releases etc. 

Cheers,

Gabriella 

1 answer

1 vote
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2020

Hi Gabriella,

It is possible to migrate your whole site to a Jira Server instance and then use the Cloud Migration Assistant to move the single project to the customer cloud instance. The Cloud Migration Assistant does not migrate everything from the server instance and you will need to review what does migrate. Cheers!

Hi @Joshua Sneed Contegix 

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately our company policy won't allow us to hand over the whole site to the client to migrate a single project, and I don't believe we will be able to do this on their behalf so just trying to find a workaround. 

Cheers, 

Gabriella 

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2020

Hi Gabriella,

At no point in my solution would you hand over the whole site to the customer, given you stood up and administrated the server instance. The reason for the server instance and Cloud Migration Assistnace is to distance you/your company from the customer. You could even use a something like Vagrant by HashiCorp or another easy-peasy local VM solution for the server instance. This method allows you to maintain the distance your company policy requires to accomplish your task. This is the workaround. Cheers!

Apologies - didn't understand that point from your previous message as it sounded similar to what I've already been researching. 

Thank you! 

Gabriella 

Carlos Sebastiani July 16, 2021

Hi Joshua and Gabriella,

In my department we are in a position exactly the same as Gabriella's. I understand the way to do it, but in the link provided by Joshua migrate your whole site to a Jira Server instance talks about migrating from Server to Cloud, and not CLoud to server as he is suggesting. 

Gabriella were you able to do it?

Joshua can you give me a link where I can see how to do it from Cloud to Server as you suggest?

Many thanks in advance

Carlos

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2021

Hi Carlos,

A simple search found https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-938846963.html quickly.

I recommend engaging a Partner if additional assistance is needed. Cheers!

Carlos Sebastiani July 16, 2021

Hi Joshua,

I was just hoping for an actual helpful link according to your suggestions, maybe this one will do the job..thanks anyways.

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2021

Hi Carlos,

This, like much of the activity within the Atlassian ecosystem, cannot be contained in a single document and requires individuals to research/compile what they need. I suggest you reach out to Atlassian if for some reason the several links I've provided that cover the whole process do not meet your needs. I recommend reaching out to one of the Atlassian Partners if this is out of your reach. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events