Migrate from server to cloud

Francois Rey November 24, 2020

Hi,

we would like to migrate from Jira Server to Jira Software Cloud.

But we already have Jira Service Management into cloud.

When importing data from server to cloud, we don't want to reset Jira Service Management data and configuration.

Is it possible ? (and how ?)

Thanks in advance,

Francois Rey

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

Hi @Francois Rey,

I think that won't be too much of a problem since JSM and JSW are different products. My guess is you will best add Jira Software as an additional product to your JSM site. The migration will normally not interfere with your current JSM, unless you may have the bad luck that some of your projects share the same project key.

Apart from that, start by creating a Migration Support ticket with Atlassian Migration Support and let them guide you through the steps to take.

Francois Rey November 24, 2020

Hi, 

thanks or your answer. in fact in cloud, I see that JSM is a project in JSW.

and last time I made the import of my JSW projects in cloud, I lost everything (from JSM).

maybe I made something wrong.

I'm going to check with Migration Support.

Thanks for your help.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

Hi @Francois Rey,

That is indeed the first step to take. You are saying slightly strange things, though. Jira Service Management is not a project in Jira Software. Both are products with specific feature sets, built on a common Jira platform that essentially offers issues, projects (as a container to store those issues in) and a powerful workflow engine underneath.

It is true that both in Jira Software AND Jira Service Management your issues will be stored in a project. But they are totally different in functionality.

Maybe I totally misunderstand, but do I get it right that you currently have Jira Service Desk on server and want to migrate that to JSM in the cloud? If so, it might be a good idea to wait a bit longer, as the last time I checked migration tools are not yet available to support that.

Yet again, migration support will be able to verify that with you!

Success with the migration nevertheless! 

Chorn Daravuth November 26, 2020

Maybe I totally misunderstand, but do I get it right that you currently have Jira Service Desk on server and want to migrate that to JSM in the cloud? If so, it might be a good idea to wait a bit longer, as the last time I checked migration tools are not yet available to support that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events