Migrate Jira Software (Server) to JSM (Cloud)

Brian Chabot August 12, 2022

I have been reviewing documentation and I can't find a direct answer. Is it possible to migrate Jira Software (Server) to JSM (Cloud)? I understand some items, like boards, may not be able to transfer, but both products use Jira at the core and we should be able to migrate.

If possible, what outside of boards would not migrate?

6 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Yes, I agree that there would need to be some sort of crosswalk as the Service Request issue type may not be in JSM. It would have to be assigned to something different.

So, second part: If I need to move to JSW to Cloud first, do I need a license? Or is Atlassian nice during this transfer/migration.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

They actually are nice about it. I believe you can/could get a license for cloud till your next server maintenance renewal. You might need to contact support about that (https://support.atlassian.com/contact)

I did find the following link too but that offer expires in a few days (as we are inching closer to the server discontinuation)

https://www.atlassian.com/migration/assess/cloud-migration-trial

so in short ,yes you need a license but with the push to cloud, you might be able to work something out thru support

Thank you, and thanks for the quick reply. We will get with Support and see what we can get into.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

Hi @Brian Chabot ,

Not really to be honest. (or at least not one shot)

You can migrate an on premise installation to a cloud environment sure.

• Jira Software Server/DC to Jira Software Cloud
  • Jira Service Desk/Management Server/DC to JSM Cloud
  • Confluence to Confluence Cloud

Afterwards you could "migrate" from a JSW project to a JSM project. (I use migrate loosely as it isn't an automated process). JSW to JSM requires a lot of planning and thinking as they have different features.

The 2 project types (Service Management  vs Software) are very different so doing this all in 1 step would not be possible. It's basically like trying to migrate a Word file to Excel online. You could move it to a Word online app and then maybe copy paste the data to Excel :)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

Hi @Brian Chabot , 

if you want to migrate from Server to Cloud and also move from Jira Software to Jira Service Management, then you'll need to do it in 2 steps : 

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

While that would move the issues over you would lose the Boards and also need to think about things like SLA, Queues, all the Opsgenie integration, perhaps a CMDB if it's on a premium environment, setting u pyour portal,... 

Also the issuetypes would be completely different. You are going from a JSW project to Service Management processes..

So while yes, you can move it it wouldn't be just a bulk move but a true migration project imho.

1 vote
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2022

Hi @Brian Chabot

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

You could perform this migration using an integration app such as Exalate. It is not designed for migration use cases, but can be used very effectively in order to get this done. The advantage of using Exalate to perform this migration would be the very high level of control (at field level) that you would be able to maintain.  

Please feel free to book a customized demo if you would like to see the product in action. 

Thanks

Majid

0 votes
Brad Peterson November 10, 2022

Hi @Brian Chabot

It is possible to migrate Jira Software (Server) to Jira Service Management (Cloud) JSM through a third-party migration tool, OpsHub Migration Manager. OpsHub is an Atlassian partner with extensive experience in undertaking complex migration projects ensuring zero downtime, no data loss, data Integrity, and full ownership of the migration process which can be a good choice for the given job. It maintains the relations between related work items, during the migration. It supports the migration of the entities, all System & Custom Issue Types, Sub-Task Types, Version and Worklogs, etc. on Jira.  

OpsHub takes care of the following use cases also: 

1. Non-disruptive Migration: Migration can cause massive disruptions to operations by not letting users use Jira while the migration is going on. Often the cost of disruption dominates all other explicit and hidden costs.  OpsHub minimizes disruption to all aspects of current operations. 
  2.  Jira Software and JSM issue types:  Jira Software supports issue types, Epic, Bug, Story, Task, and Subtask and Jira Service Management (JSM) supports issue types, Change, IT help, Incident, New feature, Problem, Service request, etc. Due to the issue types being different, it is not straightforward to migrate from the Jira project to JSM processes. OpsHub makes it very simple to map the issue types and migrate the issues without any hassle.
  3.  Support of JSM-specific comment types: OpsHub supports public comments (shared with customers) and private(internal) comments on JSM.
  4.  Preservation of Institutional Knowledge: OpsHub preserves historical knowledge of Jira data.   

Please reach out to OpsHub’s Migration Experts, for an initial free consultation on migration planning. 

Thanks

Brad

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2022

@Brian Chabot , I agree with Dirk. Just want to add to the list of solutions - there are also options listed on the marketplace. ZigiOps is one of them. It can help you migrate the entire array of data between the two systems. If open to exploring a 3rd party tool, feel free to check it out and book a demo if you want what it can do for you (the specific data you can migrate).

Regards, Diana (ZigiWave)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events