Media cannot be attached to comments and comments cannot be edited (Jira Automation)

Matthew Pavouris March 27, 2023

The following issues are only present in tickets created with Jira Automation. [edit: we've determined that these issues are only present when the ticket is in "Closed" Status; there are no issues attaching media to or editing comments when the ticket is in "Open" or "Reopened" Status. This is a bug that Jira should address as we should be able to attach media to and edit comments while the ticket is closed.]

If helpful, I can post screenshots of what the Automation rule is, but there is nothing specifically pertaining to options for Comments or anything like that. The rule is to essentially clone an Epic and its child tickets.

Edit: Here are screenshots of the Automation rule. As far as I can see, nothing should affect the functionality of adding media to or editing comments, but let me know if otherwise. All the rule should do is clone an Epic and its child tickets (to be clear, nothing should occur in regards to comments being made or the functionality of comments):

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Here is a screenshot of the audit log. The rule is always successful with no indication of issues with comments or anything else:

image.png

This issue was not present until a few weeks ago.

The "Add image, video or file" icon is missing from the Comments section (when typing a new post or editing a post):

add-image-missing.png

This is what it should look like:

add-image.png

We are unable to paste media with Ctrl+V either.

We cannot drag media from a local folder to Jira either.

Clearing cookies for Jira doesn't restore the ability to add media. Neither does restarting the browser or the computer.

Another issue is that comments cannot be edited. The following happens when trying to save changes to an edited comment:

image.png

Has anyone come across this and what steps, if any, did you take to fix it?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Matthew Pavouris -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Without seeing what your rule is writing into the comment, it is difficult to guess what is happening.  Please post images of:

• your complete rule, including details showing the comment add action,
  • of the audit log details showing a rule execution which added such a comment with these symptoms, and 
  • of the issue showing the comment when not in edit mode.

Those will provide context for the community to offer suggestions.  Thanks!

The symptoms you describe seem to indicate a problem with the comment field editor, the browser handling of the view, and/or some broken content in the field.  The fact that you can start the edit but not save the changes seems to rule out a comment-visibility problem.

As you appear to be on a Jira standard license, you could also ask your site admin to submit a ticket to the support team here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Kind regards,
Bill

Matthew Pavouris April 11, 2023

Hi Bill, thank you for the reply.

I have attached screenshots of the full Automation rule along with a screenshot of the audit log.

To be clear, the rule should have no effect in regards to comments (either being posted or their functionality).

There is also a screenshot of a comment when not in edit mode. It's at the end of the post (the comment that reads "Test test2").

Thank you!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

Thanks for that information, and just to confirm:

• Your automation rule does not appear to add any comments to the newly created issues
  • After the issues are created, some of the features of comments (and comment saving) does not work for the newly created issues

If those are correct, I do not know what could cause those symptoms, so I recommend contacting Atlassian Support at the link I provided.  Your site admin should be able to do that as you appear to be on a paid license level.

When you hear back from them, please post what you learn to benefit the community.  Thanks!

Like Matthew Pavouris likes this
Matthew Pavouris April 11, 2023

Update: the issues only occur when a ticket created with Automation is in "Closed" Status. There are no issues when the ticket is "Open" or "Reopened". 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2023

That might indicate the issue is configured to become read-only after moving it to closed.  I believe that would require a Jira admin to configure that behavior, so perhaps check with your admin to learn if that is the case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events