Markdown Text Exported to Excel - How to "Reformat"

John Elder July 14, 2021

Hello fellow Jira users and admins!  We are attempting something very basic: extract data from Jira and populate it into a merge file, in Microsoft Word, to create a PDF "book" for executive review.  Not hard, very straightforward it seems... export filter to Excel; map Excel field names to Word merge file; hit merge; save as PDF

The problem is that the "Description" field in our instance is a field that allows text formatting... bold, italics, indents, underlines, etc.  When the data is exported to Excel the "formatting" marks are brought out as well.  What should be a simple sub-section header reads like this:  Clarity ‘How To’ Part II:

I found the below article regarding the specific functions that each markdown makes... indents, bold letters, etc.  But how can I apply these markdown rules in Excel, to take what is a plain-text export and make it formatted again?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/markdown-and-keyboard-shortcuts/

Or... is there a way to export fully formatted text from Jira, that I am missing?  I know you export to Word, and that maintains formatting, but then it doesn't work for our needs since it is not in table format.  :(

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you all might have.  Thank you!

0 answers

Suggest an answer