Map status from more than one workflow to JIRA Agile columns

Hi,

in one of my projects we have the use case that we use two different workflows depending on the issue type. In future we want to use the JIRA Agile Scrum board for our team. Now I am wondering how to map my worklow states from to different workflows in my scrum board without adding a new column for each status.

1 answer

0 vote

Hello Natalie,

A JIRA Agile column can contain one or more workflow statuses associated. These statuses could come from different workflows as well.

This approach allows you to define macro statuses (JIRA Agile column) common to one or more statuses for a specific workflow or through different workflows.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

That does not work. An issue has a workflow, that's it. It doesn't change between workflows. So, while you can define a new workflow and apply it to issue types, there's no logical link between the first workflow and the second.

issue-1 uses workflow-1 and issue-2 uses workflow-2. That's it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for here. Sounds like you need to consider sub-tasks or having a workflow that includes your test steps properly.

Hello,

I would like to ask one question related to the above. e.g. there is one workflow that relates to development team and for testing, we need to define new workflow..so from one state of development workflow say "In Test" , can we map this state in another workflow designed for testing and based upon next transitions of testing workflow, it could update the state in development related workflow? Look forward to an urgent respone.

let me explain this further, e.g. development workflow starts from To Do, In Dev , In Test and Done. When any story / sub task is in test , I want to create another workflow that testing team follows. for testing team starting point is all those issues placed in "In Test" state and from that point they will start verification which either will be resolved as per the requirement or there will be a Bug in it. Testing team will create new bug and so forth continuing the workflow, once bug is fixed, that development item will be closed / reopened. Pl let me know if you need further detail.

That sounds like you need sub-tasks, and you have two approaches.

The first is that your bug follows to-do, in-dev, in-test, done. When a developer moves from in-dev to in-test, they should create one or more sub-tasks that represent the testing needing doing. The test sub-tasks can follow a totally different workflow. Then, when they are all complete, you can allow the top-level bug to be closed.

The other option is very similar, except that the top-level bug has a simple open/closed workflow, and the developers raise one or many sub-tasks alongside tests to cover their development work

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,253 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you