Manual reindexing for custom field name change

JRodney Estrada June 1, 2021

Hi all,

Just wondering if a reindexing is automatically performed when a custom field name is changed, i.e. "Commerce" to "Consumer" or is it manually started. What exactly does that entail? Is there downtime or any other concern?

Jira-Standard-Cloud

Manual_Reindexing.PNG

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2021

Hi @JRodney Estrada ,

I believe that reindexing is a restricted function in a cloud, but for server , I would recommend that you do background re-index so that it does not make the system unavailable. Background index may impact the application's performance. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Correct in the cloud re-indexing is automatic

Like Niranjan likes this

Ok, so to make sure I understand... I should make the name change at the end of the business day so the automatic re-indexing has the least impact on users and/or the application.

Will it prompt me to confirm and/or sched this re-indexing after I change the name?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

No, automatic reindexing happens pretty much in real time or nearly so. When I have changed custom fields in the past they change right away. 

Understood. I'll go ahead and do it after business hours.

Thank you! @Jack Brickey @Niranjan 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2021

Renaming a field does not need re-indexing.  The name of a field is actually just a label, all the index uses is the unique (and immutable) id of the custom field, it doesn't care what a field is called beyond looking the name up to get the id when someone asks for it via name.

You only need to re-index if you change the searcher.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer