Mandate custom fields based on a field value during ticket creation

Raju Alagappan December 8, 2020

We get features / bugs from different customer facing teams like customer support, sales etc. Right now we have defined few policies that tell what info these tickets should have during creation. Lot of them do not follow these and all required info is not logged which leads to lot of back and forth communication and delay. I would like to mandate this policy in jira so all tickets have required info during ticket creation. This policy must be based on an existing field. For eg: we have a field named "Account" which is added for any customer tickets. If this field has a value during ticket creation then jira must mandate a set of questionnaire as follows,

• Clear statement of the feature being requested.
  • Why is this being asked?
  • What is the impact on the customer?
  • What are the benefits to the customer for including this information into the product?

to be filled in. If the Account name is not entered then it should mandate this questionnaire. Could you please let me know what is the best way to do this in jira?

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Hi Raju - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The only thing I am aware of that would come close is Behaviours from the ScriptRunner add-on. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Are each of those mandated questions itself another custom field?

I don't think that JIRA Server has a built-in method for conditionally requiring fields where the condition is the value of other data fields. I think you will have to consider adding an app/add-on to your JIRA instance to extend the functionality to support that.

Depending on the add-on you choose, there could be a few different ways to implement what you want.

JIRA does support setting required fields in Field Configurations, and these Field Configurations can be put together in Field Configuration Schemes, where each Field Configuration is associated to 1..n issue types. But that sets the required fields based on the issue type, not based on a value in any other field in the issue.

0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

Hi @Raju Alagappan 

Not totally sure if I am understanding you correctly but this come in my mind: You can make certain fields required in the Field Configuration for that Issue Type. If the reporter tries to leave a field blank, then Jira will let the reporter know that field is required to be filled out.

HTH,
KGM

Suggest an answer