Managing customer versions in 1 project

Guy Amit September 4, 2018

I would like to raise a case from our company, which I think is very common today:

We are developing a solution that includes also Mobile App - first, we deliver it as a GA and we maintain its versions (e.g. 7.8.0) in our Mobile App project in JIRA. then, we have customers that we develop for them a branded Mobile App, which is 90% the same, but with some changes, like - different colors, some UI customizations, etc.  for the branded version we provide different version number, as their users they start the numbering from the beginning (for example - 1.8.0).  we also have a custom field in JIRA named "Customer" (with a list) to mention in some cases if the ticket is for a customer specific or GA.

What is the best practice for this case in the following aspects:

1. when developing a feature - do we have a ticket assigned to the GA version only? or to the customer version?

2. if issue found and related only to customer, should it be on customer version or on GA version?  (as it might need to be fixed on both)

3. how to manage same versions for different customers in a different stages - lets imagine that we started with 1 customer, so its first version is 1.0.0 and after 1 year, it is 1.4.0.   so we had its versions and released them JIRA.   now we have a new customer, so its first version is also 1.0.0 .  but 1.0.0 was in use long time ago and cannot be used again.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, best practice on that matter.

Thanks,

Guy.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events