Managing an ERP Project

Ali Noureddine April 16, 2023

Hello Guys,

what is the best practice to start on Jira to manage an ERP Project ?

as you know the ERP Project is divided into Modules and each Module has many functions.

Anyone here who managed an ERP software from scratch on Jira?

Appreciate your support ! 

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2023

@Ali Noureddine Welcome to the Atlassian community

I have used Jira to manage many ERP implementations and ongoing support.  Jira is just a tool to make it all happen.  What is most important is having sounds processes that Jira is then used to support.  I would suggest looking at how you plan on running your project, how you will break up your technical and functional teams and their areas of responsibility.  Also take into consideration your reporting structure and how the teams will be working together.  This should help you define workstreams, areas of responsibility and reporting lines.  From here you will be able to look at how each team will work, what their processes will be to complete work and how they will interact with the other teams.  You can then build out the processes and policies around the defined teams and work.  The processes can then be built out as workflows in Jira within and across projects.  

When I implemented an Oracle ERP the structure of the teams, how we would be working and reporting lines made sense for us to have a single project and organize work by issue type, components, sprints and releases.

When I implemented Workday the structure of the teams, how we would be working and reporting lines made sense for us to have 5 different projects.  We still used issue types, components and labels to organize work.  Some work was done in sprints but others work was done across projects and were related to tenant builds. 

In both cases we used workflow to enforce processes and those were clearly defined and documented.  

Really it comes down to defining what will work best for your team and how you are running the project.  In all cases we made adjustments at first to improve and simplify processes.  Being able to take time at the beginning to improve everything will pay dividends in the end and ensure for a smooth project delivery.  

Xavieralm July 19, 2023

Hi Brant,

I hope this email finds you well. I'm reaching out because I've recently transitioned from being a SAAS PM to working on an ERP project. I admire the structured approach you've implemented in previous projects and would greatly appreciate your insights on applying best practices to an ERP context.

Specifically, I'm looking to understand the ideal structure for managing Epics, Tasks, and Bugs within an ERP system. While I'm familiar with these concepts from my SAAS background, I recognize that ERP projects can have different nuances and complexities.

If you could spare some time for a discussion or provide any guidance on the matter, I would be sincerely grateful.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you and best regards,

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2023

@Xavieralm Ping me on Linked in and I can get something setup to discuss what you are doing.

0 votes
Arnulf von Kärnten
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2024

The larger your business, the more tools you need to use to operate efficiently and effectively. Especially when it comes to financial, asset, procurement and supply chain management. IFS Cloud, which you can learn more about at this link https://www.novacura.com/ifs-modules/, addresses all business needs with functional IFS modules that adapt to any business.

0 votes
Hooffina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2024

Kicking off an ERP project on Jira is a great step forward! When it comes to managing such a complex endeavor, breaking it down into modules and functions is key. It helps keep things organized and manageable. While I haven't personally managed an ERP project from scratch on Jira, I've heard that starting with a clear roadmap outlining the modules and their functionalities is a solid approach.
Additionally, setting up a well-defined workflow in Jira, with tasks, sub-tasks, and deadlines, can help keep everyone on track. Remember, communication is key, so ensure all team members are on the same page and regularly update progress.
By the way, if you're interested, https://acupower.co.uk/acumatica/retail-commerce-edition offers Acumatica's Retail Commerce Edition, which could be a great fit for your ERP project needs.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events