Making a field mandatory using automation rule

Kasturee May 21, 2021

Good day 

Is it possible to make a field mandatory when setting up an Automation Rule on a Project. I have setup the Trigger and Condition on the Automation Rule but do not see an Action to make another field mandatory.image.png

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Automation is an “after the fact” tool so it cannot be used in this manner. And Company manage projects you can use the workflow conditions and validator‘s to accomplish this type of task. 

Kasturee May 24, 2021

Thanks Jack. 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

Hi @Kasturee 

Are you asking how to make a field required during issue creation, or after creation make a different field required?

I do not believe that automation rules can do either of these things...

• Fields can be made required globally for all projects, or using a validator in a workflow
  • After the automation trigger has detected the created issue, it is already created: you cannot retroactively make a field required
  • And I do not believe there is a way yet to modify a workflow from an automation rule

Best regards,

Bill

Kasturee May 24, 2021

Thanks Bill. It is during issue creation that I want to make a field mandatory based on another field having no information captured. I do understand that this can be done via the workflow validator but it does not look a standard feature and may need to be done via an add-on I am assuming. 

On Jira Server, we currently use "Behaviours" to do this but I need to replicate this in our Jira Cloud Test instance

0 votes
John Driscoll May 21, 2021

It looks to me like you may need a JSON metadata update.
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-field-editing-json/

Required_true.jpg

Suggest an answer