Making a field mandatory if it can't be seen

Kevin Dickson March 31, 2023

Hi all,

I want to make the description field of all issuetypes mandatory.

However, if you create an issue using the roadmap or backlog views, it will only bring up the summary to enter.

How do I ensure that the description field is mandatory, no matter where you create it in Jira?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Kevin Dickson,

When you make the description field required via the field configuration of your project(s), you will be forced to fill out the field when you create an issue, even when you create an issue from the roadmap view e.g.

Jira will show the create issue dialog when you try to create an issue inline there, so you can fill out the additional details.

Be aware though that the fields you manage through field configurations are used in company managed projects. Team managed projects have their own settings that are not shared with other projects. So you will not be able to manage settings for those projects centrally.

Hope this helps! 

Kevin Dickson April 1, 2023

Hi Walter, and thanks for this.

I've realised what I was doing wrong.
Instead of creating a new field configuration scheme, I was applying a validator to my workflow to make it mandatory. This only seems to work from the "create" button on the project menu, and not on the backlog or epic views.

I tried it again using a new field configuration for my project and all working now.

Really appreciate your input, all the best!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events