Make projects discrete so they don't share information?

Ryan Stefanelli October 3, 2018

I've spent the morning searching the web on this topic and the threads I find are either outdated or lacking in a definitive answer, so I wanted to try asking it again.

We have multiple projects and do not want them sharing epic labels, tags, and any other information. Is there a way to keep information generated in one project specific to that project?

Or maybe we're using Jira in a fundamentally flawed way? We want our users logging in to one place, with the flexibility to dive into one of two projects easily. But we do not want those projects sharing any sort of information with each other, strictly for organizational reasons (the list of epics and tags are both obnoxious to scrub through as a result). It seems like such an obvious and important feature that I'm sure I must be overlooking something.

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

Even if you allow linking issues between projects they don't share information. You can't search for a label, select list value, epic name, or other values in a project and get a result from another project. If you include multiple projects in the search you can get results from more than one project. There is no restriction on what labels, names, tags, etc can be created in the project. Doing so would be a nightmare; JIRA would have to look in every other project to see if that value existed. Select list values can be configured by issue type or project so you can restrict what appears there by project or issue type. 

Ryan Stefanelli October 3, 2018

Currently, if we are creating an issue in Project B and want to assign it to an epic, the drop-down list includes all epics from project A and B. The same goes for tags. If we want to add a tag, we have to sort through the tags from both A and B.

This is what I'd like to eliminate.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

I found this on a google search:

As explained here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Working+with+Epics epics are only cross project when the board they are on has several projects in it's filter.

So if you made a separate board for each project you shouldn't see the other epics anymore.

Suggest an answer