Make Epic Link a required field

Muhammad Alchoum December 30, 2020

Hello,

I was looking for a method to make Epic Link field required for some issue types, I couldn't do it on the field configuration because it is locked. 

I found this documentation on Jira Software Support: ( How to make Epic Link required on JIRA Software ).

It worked perfectly but now when I want to create a sub-task it says ( A subtask cannot be assigned to an epic ) and doesn't allow me to create because the field is required.

Is there any solution? knowing that i need to make Epic Link required on one issue type only.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.04.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.05.27 AM.png

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

Hi, @Muhammad Alchoum !

Welcome to the Community!

Sub-task should not be assigned to an Epic. subtask is an even more granular decomposition of the work required to complete a story/task, that belongs to Epic throught the Epic Link.

I can recommend you interesting Article about issue hierarchy.

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

And of course you should check your workflow configuration - Validators. 

If your task/sub-task use the same processes try to add there conditions on Validators, that will ckeck issue type(it depends on your apps).

Like AleXios likes this
Muhammad Alchoum December 31, 2020

Thank you so much! I will check the workflow configuration, as you said they both have the same workflow

Sebastiaan Burger April 22, 2021

Removing the validation solved my problem

Thank you

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2020

Hi @Muhammad Alchoum ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I believe you need to use workflow scheme with two workflows. The first one for Sub-task issue type, where this validator is not used, and the second one for the other issue types, where this validator is used. Now you are probably using the same workflow for all issue types.

Muhammad Alchoum December 31, 2020

Thank you so much! I will create a new workflow with different validators for sub-tasks. I will let you know if I got anything :D

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events