Mail not leaving mail queue after reindex

Jeremiah BERECK May 6, 2019

We have deployed Jira on premise 

Since the new installation, even though we did all actions stated in the community help, still the mail get locked in the queue until the queue is manually flushed.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2019

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this problem.  Could you let me know what steps you have taken so far?  You mentioned doing all action in the community help, but I don't know what resources exactly you have been looking at yet.

This kind of problem can be caused by a general under resourced hardware.  So I would be interested to learn more about your environment to start.  There is a helpful Jira Sizing Guide that can be used to gauge how much you can expect to need on the system in terms of system memory, jvm memory, cpu speed, cpu cores, and hard disk performance in order to get good performance from Jira.   The other common problem is running Jira with too little jvm memory.  Steps in Increasing Jira memory can help in some cases.

If you have confirmed those aspects but still see this problem, I would also recommend Notifications Troubleshooting.  It covers a number of common problems including one that might affect you of

Large mails are getting stuck in the mail queue.

• By default JIRA applications have no limit on the size of text fields. This can mean enormous comments and descriptions can be constructed, causing performance problems and mail to fail to send.
  • The jira.text.field.character.limit value can be set as per Configuring Advanced Settings, allowing the comment sizes to be limited. This can effectively workaround the problem.

And if that doesn't pertain to you, then the next steps would be to look at the logs more closely.

General Troubleshooting Tips

• Reviewing your JIRA application logs will greatly help you narrow down the problem. Often, the problem exists in the mail server and a Google search of the error from the logs can help you identify the cause.
  • The Mail Queue (under Administration > Mail Queue) can give you a general idea of how many emails are being generated.
  • You can get more detailed logging under Administration -> System -> Logging & Profiling. Click Edit next to the com.atlassian package and change it from the WARN logging level to DEBUG. This change does not persist after a restart.
  • For even more detailed logging (display the message headers, protocol details), see Logging email protocols.

In some cases, it is necessary to follow that 3rd bulletpoint to increase the logging level so we can better understand what might cause this problem and how to address it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about these steps.

Andy

Suggest an answer