Log Work Fields Keep Disappearing

Karen Stauffer June 16, 2021

Hello -

I am hoping someone can help.  We do not use Tempo - and we rely heavily on the Log Work functionality in JIRA for our teams to log their work / drive good reporting and metrics.  However, randomly, this field / function disappears and we have to go into the settings and re-enable it.  How can I stop it from being somehow disabled by JIRA?  I don't know what the trigger is - it disappeared yesterday (6/15/21) if that helps.  This is super annoying and we'd like to permanently enable the field. Can someone please help?  

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Beatrice Cudd June 29, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- if we export the hours that were entered into Tempo before we uninstall, can we import that data into JIRA timecard?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

What do you mean by "disappears"?   And what do you have to do to fix it?

Karen Stauffer June 17, 2021

It is no longer available on the screen to see or populate.  It isn't 'beneath the fold' of the new view hidden - it is completely unavailable.  Fixing it means going back into the admin settings and choosing 'Jira Provided Time Tracking' - what happens, in essence is that the setting somehow is reassigned (without manual intervention) to Tempo Timesheets even though we don't have/ use them.  Hope this is more clear - sorry for the vagueness of the statement 'disappears'.    

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Ok, I'm still stuck on the "fix" - you say "Fixing it means going back into the admin settings and choosing 'Jira Provided Time Tracking'" - what admin settings?  Add it back to the edit screen?  Unhide it from Field config?  Fields displayed to current user?  Admin -> custom fields -> Field context?  Or is it a team-managed project and issue type -> fields?   (I know there's a lot there, but we need to know which one of those it might be that needs a "fix", and exactly what that fix is)

Karen Stauffer June 18, 2021

Hi Nic - I have provided visuals on the steps and functionality I am referring to - I hope that alleviates your confusion and helps you to help me.  :) 

Step 1 and 2 - to access admin and the time tracking function go to the admin function and click on it - shown in step 1 - choose Issues from the drop down shown in step 2

Step 1 and 2.png

Step 3 and 4:

From the left NAV that displays choose time tracking - step 3; and the screen shown in step 4 will populate the middle section -- the box highlighted is where you choose whether you want JIRA or  Tempo tracking - we choose JIRA as our option.

PROBLEM DEFINITION:  Without manual intervention, the time tracking provider (4) is reverted to Tempo - which causes steps 5 and 6.. see below.

step 3 and 4.png

Step 4 and 5

This setting impacts whether the log work option is available in the story drop down found when you click the ellipsis shown in step 4, which also drives if the log work information is shown on the screen shown in step 5. 

Step 5 and 6.png

When it reverts to Tempo the log work drop down option(5) and screen element(6) are no longer available or accessible until you change back Tempo to JIRA (4)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

Ah, ok, yes, I've seen this before.

If you're not using Tempo, you need to remove it completely.  Once uninstalled, you will no be offered Timesheets as the tracking, and it cannot be flipped over to it.

If you do not remove it, then the admin who is enabling it will be able to continute to re-enable it.

Beatrice Cudd June 28, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- We had the same problem as Karen.  I have one additional question.  When the time tracking provider flipped from JIRA to Tempo (which I think may have happened due to a new release because it happened for us around the same time as Karen) was all the data converted to Tempo?  When we remove/uninstall Tempo and revert back to JIRA time tracking, will all of our data be available?

Karen Stauffer June 28, 2021

That is an excellent question that I had not considered Beatrice - thanks!

-Karen

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2021

On Cloud, your Tempo data (including the worklogs logged via Tempo) will be gone if you remove the app.

Worklogs done in plain Jira without Tempo will not be affected.

Beatrice Cudd June 28, 2021

Excellent!  Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events