Live excel of Jira data

Kaj Sennelöv June 14, 2022

Hi community!

I have an excel that does a few calculations etc on Jira data from two projects.
Currently, I am manually importing the Jira data with the Jira cloud for excel addon.

In an ideal scenario, this excel is updated automatically every X minutes. Is there a way to automate this through Jira, excel, or Ms power?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Greetings, 

-Kaj

2 answers

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Hi @Kaj Sennelöv ,

you should use REST API provided by Atlassian JIRA in order to download data on your excel file and then perform all the calculation you want.

I did it for a customer using https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1088523/Excel-Jira-Rest-API-end-to-end-example

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Kaj Sennelöv June 15, 2022

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ 

Thank you for the tip!
This is a little above my current knowledge, but I like the challenge. ;)

Will give it a try one of these days.

Thanks again!
-Kaj

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

Hi @Kaj Sennelöv

for a completely different path: May I ask which kind of calculations you are performing in Excel?

I'm asking because there's a number of apps in the Marketplace - our own app, JXL for Jira, being one of them - that bring many spreadsheet capabilities directly to Jira. This means that you always operate on "live" Jira data, and don't even have to worry about an export, let alone keeping this export up to date.

I'm happy to elaborate more if you're interested, but whether it makes sense or not really depends on your use case.

Best,

H

Kaj Sennelöv June 15, 2022

Hi @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira

We are using the excel for a Gecko board which will also use other integrations.
Hence we are tied to that excel.

Thanks for the tip though,

-Kaj

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders