List of Epics being worked on and completed in sprint

atarab August 2, 2021

Hi all,

I am looking for a creative solution. 

I need a dashboard/filter/list etc. that I can input a sprint into, and in return receive a list of all the epics that will be worked on in that sprint (meaning they have user stories that are a part of the sprint), and a list of the epics that will be completed in that sprint. 

An add-on that has this capability is great too.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2021

Hi @atarab

it seems there was a request in the past which was answered by bringing in an App.
You could compare if this is exactly what you are looking for:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/JQL-to-show-all-Epics-of-the-userstories-in-an-open-sprint/qaq-p/1223173

I am unsure for the part "and a list of the epics that will be completed in that sprint" as a definite statement if the stories of an epic (I assume this was meant comparing to the rest of the requirement) will be resolved. Meaning in a what that there always could be unforeseen obstacles what the reporting could not cover.

The basic query for stories of an Epic involved in an open sprint shoud be doable, though.

Let us know what you find out :)

Regards,
Daniel

atarab August 8, 2021

@Daniel Ebers Thank you for your answer!

I will clarify what I mean by "a list of the epics that will be completed in that sprint" - the head of our agile team would like to present to the company what the goals are for the sprint. Meaning, assuming all the assigned user stories in the upcoming sprint (or current sprint) are completed (of course, unexpected obstacles can come up, but assuming things go as planned), which EPICs will be completed? Which EPICs will we have started to work on? Which EPICs will we have continued to work on from previous sprints but not yet finished?

The link you provided helped solve a part of the issue (showing all EPICs worked on during a sprint) but not with the above requirement. 

Thank you, 

Atara

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2021

I think there will be several approaches reaching from Dashboards to curated status information - or bringing in a project management solution of some kind to show dependencies.

From past experience it might be needed to talk to the team(s) and management which solution they prefer.

If work is strongly focused on Epics (as you said) probably looking into the Epic report to some extent can also help.

Here you can find further information:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-and-understand-the-epic-report/

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Hi @atarab welcome to the Atlassian community.

I have seen this epics map for jira plugin from marketplace with good rating, which you can try.

Please be informed, I haven't tried it hands-on.

atarab August 4, 2021

Hi @G subramanyam , thank you for your response. 

I looked at the plugin you suggested, but unfortunately I do not see the capability that I need. 

It shows the hierarchy very nicely, but does not let me see which Epics will be completed in the sprint, which is the main feature I need. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events