Linking Newly created issue "Relates to..." to an existing issue

S May 13, 2023

Hi Community

Goal - when a new issue is created I want to match a custom field value to any existing JQL search and then link them together

Custom field _ Movie Name: Tarzan

For e.g. I already have a issue in system with this movie name.

Any newly created issue which has same movie Tarzan should be linked as "Relates to

Question how do i get the key of issue from JQL result? using this I plan to link to newly created issue... ( I am thinking like a SQL developer)

here's what I have tried with Error: 

Branch rule / related issues
Error searching for related issues. This is most likely because the following issues don't have a related issue of the type you specified. Try narrowing your search to only include issues that contain links to related issues:
Key-93661: "(project = Code AND issuetype = Movie AND "MovieName[Short text]" = Tarzan) AND (key != Key of new issue)" - Error in the JQL Query: Expecting either 'OR' or 'AND' but got '123456'. (line 1, character 74)
linked.png

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2023

Hi @S 

Would you please post images of the actual audit log details for the rule execution and of the details of your branch action?  Those may provide context for this symptom.

And also...smart values are name, spacing, and case-sensitive.  The one for the trigger issue is this:

{{triggerIssue}}

Kind regards,
Bill

S May 14, 2023

@Bill Sheboy 

I have updated the if clause with 

{{triggerIssue}}

If rule.pngRuel Errror - Audit Log.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2023

Thanks, and unfortunately some of the errors automation rules show are not clear on what is happening...

I wonder if this has something to do with whatever the name is of the field which you are concealing, perhaps due to some embedded, or reserved, character.  This could also be due to an issue type name containing non-alphanumeric characters.

Please try to confirm the field name and issue type which works with JQL, using a test query in advanced issue search.

S May 14, 2023

@Bill Sheboy 

I generated the JQL using advanced search and then used it the query.

I will try renaming the customfield and provide you the feedback

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events