Link parent ticket to subtask bugs

Rodel Bernal May 10, 2023

Hi All,

I am planning to link the subtask bugs to their parent ticket so that if these bugs are moved, we can easily identify what story ticket the bugs were discovered.

Upon creation of a subtask bug, it will be linked to its parent story ticket which goes like this: discovered while testing = {parent ticket}.

How can I do this? I am new to JIRA automation and I can't seem to figure out a way to do this.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

Hello @Rodel Bernal 

Let me see if I understand your scenario.

You have a Subtask Issue Type that is specifically for bugs discovered related to an issue. When you discover a bug related to an issue you create an issue of type Subtask Bug and this is a child subtask under the issue.

And then you might change the parent of the Subtask Bug issue so that it is no longer a child subtask of the original issue.

But you want to retain information so you know that the Subtask Bug was originally created under a particular issue.

Do I have that correct?

If so, you would start with the Issue Created trigger.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-triggers/#Issue-created

After that you would add a Condition to confirm that the create issue that triggered the rule was a Subtask Bug type of issue. You would use the Issue Fields Condition to check the Issue Type field.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-conditions/#Issue-fields-condition

You would then add a Link Issues action. You can use a smart value to indicate you want the subtask linked to its parent issue.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/#Link-issues

You select the type of link you want to create between the two issues. In my example the subtask "is blocked by" the issue I will link it to (the parent issue).

When entering the smart value you need to click in the space indicated by the arrow, then start typing the smart value, then click on the smart value (in the second image) to get that smart value inserted into the field.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.28.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-10 at 6.25.24 PM.png

Rodel Bernal May 10, 2023

I didn't know you can input smart value in that field. I always thought I'm stuck only between trigger and most recently created issue. Thank you for this!

Stephanie Fox June 23, 2023

Hi Trudy -- this was very helpful and I implemented this so that I could have a Linked Issues section automatically appear in my Subtasks which would have a link to the parent Story; however the Subtask is now appearing twice on the Story -- once in the Subtasks section and once in the Linked Issues section.  Is there a way to prevent the Subtask also showing up as a Linked Issue?  Thanks!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2023

@Stephanie Fox 

If you link a Subtask to its parent issue using generic issue linking functionality, then no you can't have the link show only in the details of the Subtask.

Links between issues will always show in both issues.

Stephanie Fox June 23, 2023

Dang, ok. Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events