Link issues with matching field

Tony Styles March 2, 2021

Hi All,

I wonder if someone is able to help as I'm struggling a little to solve this!

I would like to link issues that have a field that matches within the one project. This field is called "Person number". This field is blank on creation and then populated when work is started.

So far I have automation to run when the value changes within this field and I believe I then require some JQL to identify the matching issues with an action of link issues. Would anyone be able to help me with the required automation component and also the appropriate JQL to find issues that have matching "person number"?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Hi @Tony Styles ,

let's imagine you have 5 issues with the same Person number. Then another issue is updated with the same Person number. You should be able to find all the five issues and link them to the sixth, but will this be the correct result?

First five issues will be linked to the sixth issue, but there will be no link between first and second etc.

Maybe it will help, if you provide us more information, what you are trying to achieve?

Thank you.

Hi @Hana Kučerová ,

Thank you so much for your response, and a very good question too!

Ideally I'd like any new issues that have the person number updated to be linked to any historical issues with the same person number. This would help at that moment in time to find any related tickets. I think this is in fact the scenario you describe in your comment.

Thanks!

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Hi @Tony Styles ,

thank you!

please try something like this:

When:

• Field value changed - Fields to monitor for changes: Person number

Branch rule / related issues:

• Type of related issues: JQL
  • JQL: "Person number" ~ "{{triggerIssue.Person number}}"

Then:

• Link issues
  • choose appropriate link type

Hi @Hana Kučerová ,

This is excellent. Thank you! It seems to be identifying the matching issues correctly in the audit log, however is now showing an error linking issues - "At least one of 'id' or 'key' is required to identify an issue."

I really appreciate your time and patience helping me with this!

Thanks

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

Hi @Tony Styles ,

this is a little bit strange... would you please share me the screenshots of your configuration and audit log? 

Hi Hana,

Here's a screenshot as requested:

Screenshot 2021-03-02 160006.png

Thanks

Tony

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

Thank you!

I think the problem is in the "Link Issue to" part.

Please, select "Trigger Issue" instead of "Most recently created issue".

Trigger issue is the issue, which has been changed.

Most recently created issue is empty in this context, that's why you get the error message.

Hi @Hana Kučerová ,

That looks to have sorted it! Thank you so much for your help with this. Have a great day.

Thanks

Tony

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

Hi @Tony Styles ,

my pleasure :-)... Thank you and have a great day too!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events