Labels in Backlog view

Jonathan Marie October 10, 2019

Hello,

I am using Jira Software Cloud and the next gen project.

In my backlog view, I would like to see my Labels.

Thanks

7 answers

5 votes
Jonathan Thompson August 12, 2022
  1. Go to Backlog view or Board view
  2. Click the three dots in the top right corner
  3. Board Setting
  4. Card Layout
  5. In the Backlog section
  6. Change the first dropdown to "Labels"
  7. Click Add
  8. Click Back to Board top right corner
Angel Cervera Claudio September 16, 2023

In my case, the only option in the three dost in the top right corner is "manage filters"

Like Oren Amsalem likes this
5 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2019

Hi @Jonathan Marie

It's not possible to add labels to the card view in a next-gen project at this stage.

This would be part of card layout, which Atlassian did take the first steps for with due date and priority just a few months ago:

When priority and due date are configured on an issue type, we'll display these on the card in the backlog and board. This is a first step towards letting you customise the card layout.

^ For labels, the only option right now is to filter based on them. When you add a label to any issue from a next-gen project, on the board a drop-down filter will automatically appear with all the labels in use. It is located up at the top (where quick filters are in classic boards).

You can filter based on these options to show all labels in (or containing) specific labels.

Ste

Angel Cervera Claudio September 16, 2023

So looks like after all these years, the problem persist and there are not simple workaround. Great job Atlassian!

Like # people like this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2023

Not at this stage - aside from using a Company-managed Project, or a CMP Board with your Team-managed Project.

There's suggestions which you can vote for or watch though:

Ste

2 votes
Chris Power December 16, 2021

It seems like all the responses here are talking about card views, but the backlog in a next-gen project is a list.  I'd also like to know if it's possible to show labels in this list view.

joeWeiss
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

You can add labels to the 'card layout' in the backlog.  You are able to view labels in the backlog view.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Nisha Hajamohideen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hello,

you can add fields to your card.  From the board, click on configure and navigate to Card Layout section.

Select Labels in your field name.

When you go back to the board you can see that all card have labels displayed.

1 vote
Hamilton.r.w February 8, 2023

I'm using the free version of JIRA, the answers here don't seem to apply. I have managed to get labels showing up on the board view but I would love to see them in backlog as well. Anyone know how I can achieve that?

0 votes
Leonardo T. Lombardi December 30, 2021

Not being able to delete this is quite disappointing. 

0 votes
joseph weiss October 10, 2019

I'd suggest you create a dashboard and add a 'list' gadget.  You can then create a view (within a rich filter) and add labels to that view.

Suggest an answer