Kanban board is empty

Devin Canterberry May 9, 2018

TL;DR. Anyone know why a Kanban board would silently fail to load issues that match its associated Filter Query?

For some reason, my Kanban board is empty, despite its Filter Query matching lots of issues and being shared with all project roles. There are no errors in the browser console and all network requests after a hard page refresh are coming back with OK status. Other members of the project are also having the issue.

I've tried updating the Filter Query to be a simple `project` match, to no avail.

This is an Atlassian-hosted JIRA instance, so we have not (and cannot) make low-level changes or access the underlying database.

5 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

Kindly check the sub-filter query in the board configuration page.

Selection_075.png

That was totally it.

We've been removing unused fields, and this was one of those fields.

Emptying this sub-filter resolved our issue.

**Follow-up:** I'm curious *why* this causes the query to silently fail. If anything, I would expect it to have no effect, since fixVersion would technically be empty. And if fixVersion isn't a valid field, I would expect the query to fail loudly.

Like # people like this
Nancy N October 3, 2019

Oh my, thank goodness I found this. All our kanban boards suddenly went empty. So I have worked through the board settings clearing this sub-filter and business is back up and running. Many thanks for your response, I wonder why this happened.

Like Heather R likes this
Laura Phillips March 27, 2020

Thank you, this just solved my problem

Fabian Graevenitz March 15, 2021

@Devin Canterberrythat was exactly what happened here. Removing unused fields and all of a sudden the board was empty. Still helped someone almost 3 years later (y)

Btw., what is the reason for that odd behaviour? I'm asking myself the same question as Devin.

patricio September 9, 2021

Thanks thanks Thanks! 

Angelo Edades May 18, 2023

its May 2023 and this is still helping

Like D likes this
0 votes
D November 22, 2023

11/2023 here - same problem but I do not find the suggestes page in the solution screenshot above. Was there a change in layout? 

How do I fill my totally empty Kanban Board?

Thanks a lot!

Piotr Janik November 22, 2023

Not in Server/Data Center. It still looks like this, but you need to be the administrator of the board (not the same thing as project admin) and go to Board > Configure.

D November 22, 2023

Thanks! How do I make myself admin of the board? I am currently working a dummy team managed project to learn with me as the only user and admin.

All I can do is customize colums (open, in progress...), create custom filters, change the title picture of the board and activate the time bars for tasks other than epic in a roadmap. No other settings possible

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2023

Hi @D ,

what do you want/need to be able to do exactly?

D November 22, 2023

Hi Jack,

I would like to see all issues in the kanban board but it is empty.

I do have several epics that each have several issutypes and issues on the hierarchy below the epics. I am able to see the roadmap with start- and end dates both on epic and issue level. All working fine, the only thing that doesn't work is to see any epics or issues when I click on  the kanban board. It is totally empty.

When i click on "configure" I can see a preview of the board with the issues all being sorted in the respective correct column (open, in progress, done).

edit: I do not have any custom filters set and even if i try to set them up in a simple way like "project = "my project""  or "project = "my project" and issuetype = task and ..." it still stays empty.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2023

It may be that all issues are in the backlog if so configured. Have you checked that? When the backlog is enabled, by mapping a status to the backlog column, then all issues will first appear there and, similar to scrum, You must move the issues from the backlog onto the kanban board. if that is not the issue, then possibly something is fundamentally wrong with the board's filter.

Like # people like this
D November 22, 2023

That's it! Oh my, thank you so much - I started going crazy trying out so much in order to fix it.

As I didn't set any configuration consciously it seems to be the default process that you have to manually move them from the backlog to the board. Which makes sense as the board might be overloaded with many open tasks otherwise.

Thanks again very much!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Donald Graham October 4, 2023

Thank you for this

0 votes
Mateusz Janus January 21, 2021

My dear LORD... and only thats why I did not sleep for 3 nights?!?!?! 

THANK YOU MY SAVER!!!!

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

Are there any active quick filters?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2018

@Devin Canterberryalso can you check Board Settings > Columns to observe statues-column mapping. Was it working previously and just stopped?

Nope. No active quick filters, but good call on checking into that.

FWIW, I went into the board's Columns configuration and dragged one of the status over to create a Backlog, to see if the Backlog is affected, too. As it turns out, yes, the Backlog is affected in the same way (empty list of issues, despite its Filter Query matching plenty of issues).

Suggest an answer