Kanban Board: How to only show sub-tasks of parents shown?

Miriam Grundig July 11, 2018

Dear All,
Even when I see all sub-tasks on a Kanban board. There is ONE thing that I would love to change (or maybe someone can hint me to a nice solution for this?).

When I only show Bugs in a KanBan board, selecting sub-tasks would be great to only show sub-tasks of those bugs. Same of course holds true for Epics and Stories.

Otherwise I do see sub-tasks to totally unrelated items... which assuming that sub-tasks are always this: a sub to something else, doesn't make much sense w/o seeing the item they are the sub to...
I would even go as far as to assume that that would be the default behavior expected when creating filters like that.

Filter used: project = X AND issuetype in (subTaskIssueTypes(), Bug)

Expected behavior: Bugs and their corresponding sub-tasks are shown

Actual: Bugs and ALL sub-tasks of the project are shown

Thanks and cheers,
Miriam

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2018

Hello Miriam,

You are going to want to look into the JQL Functions added in by ScriptRunner For Jira, that add in a subtaskOF() jql function detailed at the link below that I believe will accomplish what you are looking for:

Using this Function you could do something like:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = X AND issuetype = Bug")

Regards,
Earl

Miriam Grundig July 18, 2018

Thanks! That would probably help but we try to avoid using extensions for now. I might be coming back to this ;-)

Suggest an answer