Kanban Accepted column misled by administrative updates

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

I have a couple of teams operating under Kanban.  We have our boards set to expire the Accepted column after 2 weeks.  However, it appears the Accepted column expiration is watching the Updated field rather than the Resolved field.  Our Product Owner is attempting to watch and report on contents Accepted during the past two weeks, but in reality, what he's seeing is what's been Updated during the past two weeks, which is misleading.

Looking at the controls, for the Kanban board, I don't see a clear way to affect how the Accepted column is constructed, and I don't see a way to filter the contents of that column; so far, the only solution I've found is to provide a quick filter that's focusd on the Resolved date; that will give me an accurate list of Accepted issues during the past period of time I specify.

Am I missing something obvious here?

3 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

An alternative solution, since you are not currently using the board sub-filter, would be to reset the Hide Done option to "Never" and add a sub-filter to your board as follows:

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 12.04.57 PM.png

That will result is the board showing all issues (within scope of the primary board filter) that are unresolved, and those that have been resolved within the past two weeks.

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

Wow, I like this.  Thanks!!

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2023

@Trudy Claspill this is a better solution; since the restriction I'm needing is only on the Kanban board, by applying a subfilter to manage the contents of the Accepted column, I can use a more general-purpose query for the Kanban board and use the same filter for the Velocity chart.  This is THE SOLUTION... thank you for persisting in tracking down a solution... you rock!!

Randy

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
3 votes
Answer accepted
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

Hello @Randy O_Neal 

I think you had already checked but what are your filter and your sub filter in your Kanban board ?

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

@JM Perrot so my board filter limits the contents of my board to the issuetypes and the project I want to see.  Currently, I do not have a subfilter for the board.  I've been trying to visualize in my mind how I could narrow the focus of my Accepted column with a subfilter.

For example, my quick filter - which returns what I want to see - is set to

issuetype in (Bug, Story) AND status = Accepted AND Resolved >= startofDay(-14d) AND Resolved < endofDay()

... but I'm struggling to figure out how I could leverage this filter to only affect the Accepted column.  Perhaps there's a way, but I don't envision it being simple or straight forward.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

To effectively apply a filter to a single column you would have to construct it thus:

<your filter for the column> OR <a filter that selects all the issues that would appear in other columns>

There is no way to indicate a Quick Filter should be applied to only a specified column.

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

@Trudy Claspill that confirms my suspicion.  So, to really make this work, I had to add AND Status = Accepted to the first portion of the filter, then add the OR and specify everything else AND Status != Accepted, otherwise, the other stuff would creep in if I didn't exclude the status comparison.

I've confirmed this works.  Thank you!!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

FYI - Having the "Hide Done" option using the Resolved field rather than the Updated field is a change request documented here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21897

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events