Jira wont start after reboot

Jason Saunders May 21, 2023

We did Windows patching this weekend and Jira didn't restart after the reboot. Same patch works fine in our dev environment. We don't get the Jira start-up screen at all. This is Jira Server 9.4.1 w/ SQL Server database. I've tried the following suggestions from this article 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshoot-a-jira-data-center-server-startup-failed-error-394464512.html

Increased maximum memory pool RAM
Cleared plugin cache directories
Deleted disabled plugins from the pluginstate table
Removed plugins from installed plugins directory
Checked there is not lock file

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Saunders May 30, 2023

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to mark this as the solution.

The root cause ended up being that the shutdown port set in atlassian\jira\conf\server.xml was being used by another process. Not sure how this happened because we have had the same port configured for 3 years. The fix was to change to an unused port.

0 votes
Graham Twine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

Hello @Jason Saunders ,

Do you see any errors in the logs?

At what point do things begin going bad?
Is the server connected to the database?

What did the patching include?

I.e. JVM upgrade, OS security etc. This may guide you

Is there sufficient RAM to increase the JVM heap size in the first instance?

Have you cleared the server and data temp directories?

Maybe try these first.

%JIRA_SERVER_INSTALL/temp/ Note, do not delete temp, just  the contents.

%JIRA_HOME/tmp/ As above, only the contents

Jason Saunders May 22, 2023

The errors that I see in the atlassian-jira.log files are:

2023-05-22 07:39:42,243-0400 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher] There was an exception thrown trying to dispatch event [com.atlassian.analytics.api.events.AnalyticsConfigChangedEvent@5868bcb9] from the invoker [com.atlassian.event.internal.ComparableListenerInvoker@1f5377ab]

2023-05-22 07:39:47,525-0400 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.s.core.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleManager] LifecycleAware.onStart() failed for component with class 'com.spartez.jira.plugins.ephor.components.Application' from plugin 'com.spartez.jira.plugins.ephor-for-jira'

The other thing that I have noticed is when I try to stop the Windows service, it hangs. The service doesn't stop and I have to kill the service from the task manager.

• I'll check on the specific patching notes, but this same patch is working on our dev instance of Jira.
  • The heap size increase was done as a response to the Jira not starting.
  • I have cleared both of those temp directories.
Graham Twine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

Dev environments tend to be less restrictive with regards security etc. so if something like that pops up then you may want to delve a little deeper.

I am not familiar with windows so hopefully someone with knowledge of windows  can assist :(

Have you tried to clear out the temp folders and restart?

Given your error seems from what you have posted to be a plugin  issue also   delete these two folders data/plugins/.osgi-plugins and data/plugins/.bundled-plugins

Jason Saunders May 22, 2023

Thanks for the reply.

I have a cleared out both temp folders and restarted with no luck.

I have deleted the .osgi-plugins and .bundled-plugins folders multiple times and restarted with no luck.

Jason Saunders May 30, 2023

The root cause ended up being that the shutdown port set in atlassian\jira\conf\server.xml was being used by another process. Not sure how this happened because we have had the same port configured for 3 years. The fix was to change to an unused port.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events