Jira v8.22, moved/upgrade pgSQL 11->13, db connection ok but no listener on 8080

s_v_h_haugan April 18, 2023

Hi guys!

Just migrated Jira 8.22 database from pgSQL 11->13, db connection ok, but upon startup the catalina.out log says:

SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Failed to start connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8080]]

and nothing is listening on port 8080 (with bad gateway as a result).

netstat -an | grep 8080 confirms that the port is not taken)

I did not touch server.xml, it still says port="8080". Jira changed it by itself, though: reformatted the Connector entry to a single line, and some other minor changes.

One error message (not verbatim): could not create install/work/Catalina/localhost

Changed owner from root to jira, got further but (not verbatim): "cannot parse jira/install/work/catalina.pid". Remove it, touch it, got further permission issues.

I now notice that the catalina.out log says:

18-Apr-2023 12:02:54.284 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Failed to start connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8080]]
:
:
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: /home/jira/.keystore (No such file or directory)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractJsseEndpoint.createSSLContext(AbstractJsseEndpoint.java:108)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractJsseEndpoint.initialiseSsl(AbstractJsseEndpoint.java:72)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.bind(NioEndpoint.java:205)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.bindWithCleanup(AbstractEndpoint.java:1221)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.start(AbstractEndpoint.java:1307)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start(AbstractProtocol.java:644)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.startInternal(Connector.java:1137)

I.e. /home/jira/.keystore does not exist... but it never did!

Seems like jira is trying to make an internal SSL connection, but does not have the certificate information...? But hey, it never did!

I'll try to investigate further, but any advice would do!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Yess!

Removing SSLEnabled="true", keystorePass="changeit", and keystoreType="JKS" in server.xml fixed that problem.

Now I have to go back and reverse a chmod -R a+rwX that I did on the install directory... old issues came back, fixed with chown -R jira and chmod -R go-rwX :)

Without using expletives, I have to say I'm mildly annoyed at this. How the <expletive deleted> should an upgrade of the data base with no software upgrade change a freakin' config file like that - it has nothing to do with the database.

As for why jira isn't designed to run with the entire install directory read-only... beats me.

But hey, all is well that ends well :)

0 votes

Hey! The server.xml modified by Jira, has an SSLEnabled="true" which was not there previously! Which makes sense given my preliminary conclusion above.

There's also keystorePass="changeit" and keystoreType="JKS" which were not present earlier.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events