Jira sub tasks issue - giving error

polavarapu venugopal March 28, 2022

After migrating the data from Jira cloud to Jira server, we have observed that for issuetype = 'subtask', the description field is giving below error message.

Kindly provide me your valuable suggestions

An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug. Details: ------- org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'getHtml' in class com.atlassian.jira.web.component.subtask.SubTaskSequenceColumnLayoutItem threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException: null value in entry: actualSequence=null at templates/jira/issue/table/macros.vm[line 117, column 34] at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.handleInvocationException(ASTMethod.java:342) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:284) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:262) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.value(ASTReference.java:507) at

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
polavarapu venugopal April 9, 2022

Hi All,

Atlassian recommended with the below solution which apparently fixed the issue. Please try it out from your end.

I have checked the information you provided and it appears that there is an inconsistency in your database.  Thank you for letting us know that you already ran the integrity checker and performed a re-index.

Currently the issue looks to be related to the issuelink table, can you please take the following steps?

1. First run this query to see if there are any null values in the table;

2.   3.  select count(*) from jiradb.issuelink where sequence IS NULL;

1. If the value is greater than 0 run the following command to retrieve the faulty lines: 

5.   6.  select * from jiradb.issuelink where sequence IS NULL;

1. Then adjust the following query where you take the value (here set as example to 10100) from the field LINKTYPE returned by the query in step 2 and run the update statement:

8.   UPDATE issuelink SET sequence = 0 WHERE linktype=10100 AND sequence IS NULL;

Since the query involves running an update statement, Please ensure to make a native database backup before modifying the database and it is recommended to run the query on database connected to a test environment first before trying on the database connected with production instance.

Thanks

Alexander April 10, 2022

select count(*) from issuelink where sequence IS NULL;

returns to me 1442

so i should run

UPDATE issuelink SET sequence = 0 WHERE linktype=10100 AND sequence IS NULL;

1442 times for every linktype that DDL "select * from issuelink where sequence IS NULL;" displayed for me ?

polavarapu venugopal April 11, 2022

Hello Alex

You have run below query

select * from issuelink where sequence IS NULL;

After executing, you will be seeing the duplicate numbers in 'linktype' column.

Then you have to run 'UPDATE' query

UPDATE issuelink SET sequence = 0 WHERE linktype= {paste the duplicate number} AND sequence IS NULL;

By executing above query, it will eliminate the duplicate values. You have to keep running till the count to be shown as '0'

After that, please restart JIRA and you will be seeing all the sub-tasks

Thanks

Like # people like this
Alexander April 11, 2022

Yes! That's more understandable, it works like a charm without any restart! Thanks!

One issue here that is left - when user was mention another user i see accountuseerid:... how can i fix it ? it's trying to locate such ID by a new path (after we moved from cloud to server)

I am also facing the same issue.

Please try to add 'users' in user management with apt permissions and check if that fixes the issue.

Thanks

Shereen Magistrado September 26, 2022

Thank you so much, @polavarapu venugopal

Your suggestion above works.

Алексей Походня October 24, 2022

set sequence = 0
Could you explain why this particular value? I don't want it to be magic.

1 vote
Mohammed Monir May 17, 2022

Download this app Cloud Compatibility for Jira  when user was mention another user i see accountuseerid:... 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221117/cloud-compatibility-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Alexander May 17, 2022

Amazing! Thanks!

0 votes
Alex Trebek June 27, 2023

Ran into the same problem after an import of subtask links.

Managed to rectify the corruption by using issueLinkManager.resetSequences method (https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.6.1/com/atlassian/jira/issue/link/IssueLinkManager.html#resetSequences-java.util.List-).

Here is a snippet:

def links = issueLinkManager.getOutwardLinks(issue.id)?.findAll { it.issueLinkType.name == "jira_subtask_link" }
issueLinkManager.resetSequences(links)

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

Hi @polavarapu venugopal 

Welcome to the community!

Please check this!

Alexander April 7, 2022

It didnt't help.

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2022

Did you see any issues on Integrity Checker?

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2022

I recommend doing a full integrity check.

Alexander April 7, 2022

Sure i did. It's not fixed the issue

Rui RODRIGUES April 9, 2022

Hi @polavarapu venugopal , 

I'm having the same issue here. Did you find a solution?

Thanks

so am i. If anyone find solution, pls write here. I'll be happy

Hi @polavarapu venugopal , and integrity checker helped you?

Hello 

'Integrity checker' will not be quite helpful in resolving this 'sub-tasks' issue.

I have posted the steps i took to fix the issue. Kindly go through and let me know if you still face the issues.

Thanks

Suggest an answer