Jira software best practise

Mikhail Puzhay-Chereda March 28, 2019

Hello everyone! I guess my question is very sketchy, but i think that there are a lot of people, that encountered this problem:

I want to implement jira in IT company, which have some business process. This is pretty standard process, when some departments are responsible for some task. Another departments have to wait, until first department complete it's work and it cant start to do their tasks.

Company have about 100 projects, with the same business process, but maybe with a little distinctions. But anyway, they are pretty the same.

So, what have in my mind (i want you to criticize and to offer some advice):

First of all, i chose Kanban board. This way to work is the most suitable for company.

Then, i want to make some "perfect" project, in which i use Automation for Jira and some app, which help me to track SLA's. In Automation for jira, i make some scripts, where if some task in the project is done, another task is moved into ToDo list and other department see it and can start to work on this tasks.

So, in production, there will be around 100 projects with 100 Kanban boards in it and every department should have its own dashboard, where it can see Tasks to do.

How this should work, i guess: someone, for example, project manager have to deploy new project, from those "perfect" project i have made before. And this is struggles me:

1. The permission. Only Administrator can make new projects. But i dont want to give someone those rights.

2. If i figure it out, how to give those permissions without full administrative rights, i dont know how to make  "inheritance". Ill try to explain what i mean:

I made some rules in Automation in Jira app, i backup'ed this project and next, i deploy this project as new one. But those rules(from Automation in Jira), doesn't move to the new Project. Even the pre seted task and theirs sub-task are placed not in a backlog, but in ToDo list. It all works chunky and doesn't seemed easy and correct way to do what i want. 

And i want to ask community advise. I guess, my problem is solved hundred times before. Maybe i should't make hundreds of project and work in only one and separate projects with epics, i don't know.

I hope i have described everything clear.

2 answers

0 votes
Mikhail Puzhay-Chereda March 29, 2019

And ok, i want to use epic to divide my projects, can i make some template with all my tasks, and then, when i need to make new project, i just import this template and have all my new tasks assigned to new epic?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

One easy trick is it create the Epic with everything you want in it but just leave it in your backlog. Then clone that ticket when you want to create a new Epic. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2019

Hi Mikhail - I can at least give you my opinion.  :-)

If the "projects" are short lived and are spun up frequently. I would indeed use Epics instead of projects. Especially since the workflow and process is the same. 

We have many issues that start with one team and get handed off to another team. And then maybe another team or even back to the first team. We tend to do that with a single workflow and the issues is not Done until it moves through all teams. 

But we also have some processes that end with one team (Done) which creates new issue for another team. We do that with post functions on the transition to Done. We do use JMWE for that, but I think Automation for JIRA can probably accomplish the same thing (we do not use Automation yet, but we are exploring it. Not as a replacement for JMWE, but in addition to it.)

I hope that helps a little!

Mikhail Puzhay-Chereda March 29, 2019

On average, projects live half a year, but, can even live for a year.

How do you solve the problem with creating a new project and transition all rules, scripts, all typical tasks  to the new project? Is you have said, you use JWME, and i guess you supposed to face the same problem. If i can beat this task, i will advance very much.

Or you just dont have such a problem?

Suggest an answer