Jira not displaying Priority field on view screen.

Taylor Huston July 7, 2020

Hello All,

I have an Issue Type in Jira. It's a subtask Issue Type, if that matters.

1. Both of the Edit and View actions are using the same Screen, which includes the Priority field.
  2. All of these issues are created through Automation that always fills out the Priority Field (specifically a Scriptrunner Script on the creation of a parent issue that creates several subtasks, linked issues, copies values over, including the Priority, etc).
  3. When I view an Issue, the Priority field is not showing.
  4. When I go to Admin -> Where Is My Screen, it's telling me that the Priority field isn't being displayed because it's empty.
  5. When I Edit the issue, the Priority field is present and set to a value. If I change the value, the Priority field then appears on the View screen.
  6. When I do a JQL search with the "Priority is Empty" query, it's returning a bunch of these issues where the Priority isn't, or at least shouldn't be, empty.
  7. I have reindexed the Project, but not me entire instance, as that takes several hours.

Anything else I might be missing?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Taylor Huston August 28, 2020

Well the issue seemed to magically resolve itself, because reasons?

1 vote
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2020

ETA: are you sure that your ScriptRunner script is populating the native Priority field and not a custom field?

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm on Cloud, so I'm not sure if server is the same (or if your version of server is the same). Are you using the "new" issue view, where there are a number of fields displayed vertically along the right side and Status is now a dropdown instead of a field? (Ignore the red boxes in the screenshot; I'm using a cheap image editor that doesn't have a blur feature so I needed to put a box on top of user names.)

2020-07-07_1643.png

If your screen looks like this, scroll all the way to the bottom of the right column. Is there a Show More link?
2020-07-07_1644.png

If so, and Priority is one of those fields, you can (if you are a project admin) change the order of the fields to make sure Priority always displays. In the three dots menu of an issue, click Configure. It will take you to the issue layout screen. You can then drag Priority up from the Hide When Empty section to the main Context Fields section.

2020-07-07_1645.png

Taylor Huston July 8, 2020

We're on Server so the UI is completely different, but yes ScriptRunner is populating the native Priority field.

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2020

What automation framework are you using to call your scriptrunner script that sets the priority. Is it in a post function of a workflow, or some other trigger?

You want to make sure to reindex the issue AFTER your script is called. If you are reindexing before your script you might see odd behavior.

Suggest an answer