Jira migration fails server to cloud fails Synchronizing users and groups

Brian Price November 3, 2020

I'm trying to migrate from Jira Server to Jira Cloud but every time, I get FAILED on "Synchronizing users and groups".

It suggests importing again (fails every time) or contacting support, which I need a paid account to do, which I don't want to do at the moment, as I have a team of 2.

I can see a bug report MIG-147 which says there is no workaround but the support team can help resolve it. The bug is closed with a resolution of "Fixed", but I don't know whether this really means fixed or "won't fix".

Has anyone had this issue, and managed to resolve it on their own ?

Just FYI, I selected the option "merge with existing cloud users" and I only have one cloud user (me) and my username and email are different to the ones on the server I'm trying to migrate from. I only have 1 user in the cloud instance, and 7 in the server.

2 answers

0 votes
Fábio W. [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 25, 2020

Dear Community,

In case you run into this error message while performing a site import in the Jira cloud, please refer to the following KB for additional guidance:

We compiled some checks and verifications you can try before attempting a new import. We hope that helps.

Best,

Fábio

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2020

Hello @OriginalBigBri

Thank you for reaching out. My name is Petterson and I'm a Community support engineer at Atlassian.

Per your description, I understand that you are trying to migrate Jira Server to Cloud, selecting the option to merge with existing Cloud users, however, the migration client is returning an error. Is that correct?

In fact, there are several bugs and conditions that could be the root cause of your issue. That being said, please provide us with the information below:

1. The full message of the error returned, also checking if there are any other details of the error in the development console of your browser when reproducing the problem.
  2. Have you changed the email address or name of the current user in Atlassian Cloud? If yes, can you confirm if the previous name or email address matches the ones in the server application?
  3. Can you confirm if you are using an external Active Directory with your Jira Server instance?

We will be waiting for this information to further help you. 

Brian Price November 16, 2020

Hi Petter, thanks for following up.

I have one user in Atlassian Cloud (myself) and I am also a user in the Server, although using a different email address.

I am not using Active Directory.

I have just tried importing the ZIP file again, with the following results:

- The first stage of the import finishes with the message "We've checked your file for issues, and everything looks good.

- When I then select Run Import, it goes to the Running Import page, where the progress bar gets to around 70%

It then goes to a screen saying "Problems with your import"

The following error message is shown:

An error occured during the import process.

Import again with a different backup file or get in touch with our support team. Include the steps you followed, along with any unique characteristics of your Jira setup.

• Error importing data: cloud.atlassian.logmon.laas.api.PrivacySafeException: Privacy-safe boxing of a com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.identity.UsersImportService$WrappingCrowdException

The different stage results are:

SUCCESS Processing your Jira backup
SUCCESS Processing your Jira and plugin data
SUCCESS Updating the database
SUCCESS Importing attachments and avatars
FAILED Synchronizing users and groups
NOT_STARTED Activating Jira

There are a LOT of warnings in the browser console.

The only error shown there is a 404 response to the following api call: (I have removed the actual params)

https://fishdf.atlassian.net/rest/api/latest/user/properties/navigation_next_ui_state?accountId=(a number)%3(a guid)

Thanks,

Brian

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2020

Hello @OriginalBigBri

Thank you very much for all the details provided.

Analyzing your error logs, I believe you might be facing the known bug reported below:

Jira Site Import Doesn't Work When "Administer Jira" Global Permission is Granted to Cloud's Non-Admin Default Group 

The bug above happens when a non-admin default group is added with the "Administer Jira" global permission. In order to confirm if that's the case, you can try one of the options below:

1 - Remove the non-admin groups from the Administer jira permission in Jira Server and generate a new backup file:

1. On the source Jira (Server), go to Jira settings > System > Global permissions
  2. Remove the "jira-software-users" group or any custom group from the "Administer Jira" permission, except for: "site-admins", "administrators", "jira-administrators".
  3. Take a new backup file
  4. Try to Import the backup to Jira Cloud

2 - Edit the current backup file:

1. Unzip the backup file
  2. Edit entities.xml and remove the line where "jira-software-users" group or any custom group is having "Administer Jira" permission.
    Example:
    <GlobalPermissionEntry id="10201" permission="ADMINISTER" group_id="jira-software-users"/>

3. Save the change and zip the XML files
  4. Try to import the file again to Jira Cloud

Let us know if that approach works for you.

Brian Price November 16, 2020

Hi,

There is only one group (jira-administrators) with "Jira Administrators" and "Jira System Administrator" permissions. In the entities.xml file, there is just this:

<GlobalPermissionEntry id="10000" permission="ADMINISTER" group_id="jira-administrators"/>

Brian

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, @OriginalBigBri

Checking a little further in your site logs, I suspect you have a deleted user in Cloud with the same ID as one of the users you are trying to import in. That behavior would trigger the bug below:

Jira Site Import Failed with Duplicate email address, When Using Merge Users option 

Anyway, we will require more investigation and access to the application database to better understand its root cause and properly fix it, so I created the following support ticket so our internal support team can contact you and properly request access to your site data:

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/browse/MOVE-15098 

P.S: I linked this Community question in the ticket so the migration team can check what steps we did until now. 

Let us know when they reach back to you about this case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events