Jira is running very slow and i think it is because of the testrail plugin

Norma Seddon October 23, 2020

Our Jira server is running very slow, we have a number of plugins but reviewing the log i think it is related to the testrail plugin as i see numerous null point exception errors.

I checked the testrail config and I don't see anything that was setup incorrectly. below is a snippit from the log.  Can anyone tell me what the null point exception is in relation to?

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.testrail.jira.Configuration.getTestRailInstance(Configuration.java:52)
at com.testrail.jira.UserInGroupCondition.shouldDisplay(UserInGroupCondition.java:31)
at com.atlassian.plugin.web.conditions.AndCompositeCondition.shouldDisplay(AndCompositeCondition.java:22)
at com.atlassian.plugin.web.DefaultWebInterfaceManager.filterFragmentsByCondition(DefaultWebInterfaceManager.java:160)
at com.atlassian.plugin.web.DefaultWebInterfaceManager.getDisplayableItems(DefaultWebInterfaceManager.java:113)
at com.atlassian.plugin.web.DefaultWebInterfaceManager.getDisplayableWebItems(DefaultWebInterfaceManager.java:212)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.DefaultSimpleLinkManager.getLinksForSection(DefaultSimpleLinkManager.java:120)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.access$701(ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.java:28)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager$3.load(ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.java:149)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager$3.load(ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.java:146)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3528)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2277)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2154)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2044)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3952)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.getOrLoad(LocalCache.java:3974)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.get(LocalCache.java:4958)
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.getUnchecked(LocalCache.java:4964)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.getLinksForSection(ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.java:153)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.getLinksForSection(ThreadLocalCachingSimpleLinkManager.java:140)
... 2 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy450.getLinksForSection(Unknown Source)
... 2 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:343)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:185)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:136)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:124)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:185)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:136)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:124)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:212)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1770.getLinksForSection(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.headernav.MainHeaderLinksContextProvider.getContextMap(MainHeaderLinksContextProvider.java:42)
at com.atlassian.plugin.web.descriptors.DefaultWebPanelModuleDescriptor$ContextAwareWebPanel.getHtml(DefaultWebPanelModuleDescriptor.java:134)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.headernav.ModernPluggableTopNavigation.getHtml(ModernPluggableTopNavigation.java:49)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.navigation.HeaderFooterRendering$7.visit(HeaderFooterRendering.java:363)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.navigation.HeaderFooterRendering$7.visit(HeaderFooterRendering.java:355)
at com.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess.invokeModule(SafePluginPointAccess.java:644)
at com.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess.visitPluginPointImpl(SafePluginPointAccess.java:325)
at com.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess.descriptors(SafePluginPointAccess.java:213)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.navigation.HeaderFooterRendering.includeTopNavigation(HeaderFooterRendering.java:355)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.navigation.HeaderFooterRendering$1.run(HeaderFooterRendering.java:160)
at com.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess.runnable(SafePluginPointAccess.java:404)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.navigation.HeaderFooterRendering.includeTopNavigation(HeaderFooterRendering.java:157)
at jsp.decorators.admin_jsp._jspService(admin_jsp.java:372)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:741)
... 4 filtered
at com.atlassian.diagnostics.internal.platform.monitor.http.HttpRequestMonitoringFilter.doFilter(HttpRequestMonitoringFilter.java:55)
... 49 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
... 36 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
... 10 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 4 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)
... 26 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
... 25 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2020

Norma,

I would suggest disabling the app to see if you get a performance improvement.  If you do I would suggest reaching out to the support of that app so they can help you resolve the issue.  I would also suggest deleting the app (plugin) cache on the server.  Occasionally this cache will become corrupted after an update and clearing it will resolve the issue.  This can be done by following the steps below. 

Please perform the following:

• Shut down JIRA
  • Delete the following hidden plugin cache directories:
    JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins
    JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins
  • Restart JIRA (These directories will be recreated on JIRA reboot with new plugin cache)
Norma Seddon October 24, 2020

Thanks, I did disable the app and without restarting the server it did not seem to make a difference.  after restarting the server the tomcat service is using 7GB compared to 22GB but nobody is using the system right now.

for the cache folders i will delete them and see how it is on Monday.  what about the folders below

JIRA_HOME/plugins/install-app-info
JIRA_HOME/plugins/installed-plugins
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2020

Only delete the two I listed.  If you delete more than that you will have issues. The two you will delete will be recreated on startup the others will not.

Suggest an answer