Jira in the cloud and backend DB

talha Parvaiz November 18, 2020

Hi,

Currently, we have Jira hosted internally and the DB is an oracle. We do some data manipulation and migrate a subset of data over to other DB for reporting and analysis

Once Jira will go on the cloud, A) can you please suggest how will that possibly impact our current reporting and analysis process and B) what will be the backend DB on the cloud

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

You should not be trying to report off a Jira database.  It's a bad idea because the database is a mess and very very not intended for reporting.

So, the very blunt answers are:

A) your reports will not work until they're modified to work off the front-end.

B) you do not need to care - you won't have access to it.

Whether you decide to go to Cloud now, or move to DC, your reporting needs to stop looking at the database and move over to using the REST API instead.  Where-ever you land, the REST API is what you need to use instead of broken SQL

talha Parvaiz November 18, 2020

Hi Nic,

thanks for the suggestion. I will discuss it internally with our team. It helps

as for the alternative, for the sake of exploring option, if we go with the sql route (knowing it’s not the best option). Can you please suggest the database that jira uses in the backend on the cloud? Do they give an option to pick from one

thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

I do know what database they use for Cloud, but it's utterly useless information for you.

You can't choose what they use, you can't get to it, and you don't have any use for knowing what it is.

You can't go with the sql route, you will not be able to use it.

You will have to throw away all your SQL.  It's useless.  You'll need to build your reports properly, using the REST API or built-in or app reporting.  (Which is something I'd strongly recommend for server as well - SQL is the worst possible way to report on Jira data)

talha Parvaiz November 19, 2020

Can you please let me know which dB do they use on the cloud?

i have already share your suggestion of using rest API with my team

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

Can you tell me why you want to know?  What would knowing what the database is actually help you with?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2020

Re-reading this, I realise I should apologise for the lack of explanation, which I think looks rude and ignorant on my part.  If I have come across that way, I am sorry, I really do not mean to.

I have not answered the core of the question, because the answer is completely useless to you.  The database is (mostly) a modified and AWS-suited Postgres variant. 

But that does not matter, as you've got no access to it.  It's a bit like asking where your electricity comes from - your house is powered by a potential difference over some power lines, but there's no chance you're ever going to see all the power stations that provide that pd.  Knowing the database behind a Cloud Jira is actually less useful than knowing that your electricity supplier favours wind or solar. 

talha Parvaiz November 29, 2020

No worries... we are a tech-family, all good

Now that it's clear that I won't have access to the DB on cloud. how would you suggest accomplishing the following using REST API

1) we want to export Jira data (ticket #, hours worked, dates, etc.) to our reporting data warehouse.

2) export only incremental/changes data to the warehouse.

Thanks again for your assistance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

1) You can read all your Jira issue data with REST

2) Base your regular queries on the updated date.  Use JQL such as "updated > -1h" if you are running the scrape hourly

Suggest an answer