Jira does not start

Jaap van der Veen August 25, 2017

I had Jira up and running properly (succesfully upgraded to the latest versions earlier today).

Decided to tackle the error message regarding the lucene index. 

Background:

Jira is running in a Linux Container on ProxMox.

ProxMox storage is hosted on a NAS (NFS share).

jira_home is on a mounted nfs-share, hence the Lucene error message.

After stopping Jira I copied the caches directory from the NFS-mount to a local directory in the container, moved caches in jira_home to caches.bak and added a symbolic link named 'caches' to jira_home pointing to the local caches folder.

Started Jira: error 'Jira had problems starting up

Setup: JIRA couldn't create the jira.home directory

Ensure JIRA has permission to create and write to the jira.home directory /mnt/data/jira/jira_home.
Review our documentation for more information on setting your JIRA home.'

Reverting the steps above (deleting the symbolic link and moving caches.bak to caches) does not solve the error.

chown -R jira:jira caches/indexes does not change anything either.

Addition:

atlassian-jira.log:

2017-08-25 13:49:23,646 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Could not execute health check, DatabaseConfigurationManager not available.
2017-08-25 13:49:23,646 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Could not execute health check, DatabaseConfigurationManager not available.
2017-08-25 13:49:23,646 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher] JIRA has failed to start because of the following errors: [(Event: Level = (EventLevel: fatal) , Key = (EventType: startup-unexpected) , Desc = We couldn't start JIRA , Exception = An error occurred while trying to start JIRA. We can't give you any more detail right now, we suggest checking the logs for more detail and contacting our support team.<br/>See our documentation for more information on contacting our support team and creating a support zip.), (Event: Level = (EventLevel: fatal) , Key = (EventType: database) , Desc = Could not execute health check, DatabaseConfigurationManager not available. , Exception = ]

catalina.out:

2017-08-25 13:49:21,760 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] We couldn't start JIRA

2017-08-25 13:49:21,760 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] An error occurred while trying to start JIRA. We can't give you any more detail right now, we suggest checking the logs for more detail and contacting our support team.

See our documentation for more information on contacting our support team and creating a support zip.

2017-08-25 13:49:23,646 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Could not execute health check, DatabaseConfigurationManager not available.

2017-08-25 13:49:23,646 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Could not execute health check, DatabaseConfigurationManager not available.

2017-08-25 13:49:23,646 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher] JIRA has failed to start because of the following errors: [(Event: Level = (EventLevel: fatal) , Key = (EventType: startup-unexpected) , Desc = We couldn't start JIRA , Exception = An error occurred while trying to start JIRA. We can't give you any more detail right now, we suggest checking the logs for more detail and contacting our support team.<br/>See our documentation for more information on contacting our support team and creating a support zip.), (Event: Level = (EventLevel: fatal) , Key = (EventType: database) , Desc = Could not execute health check, DatabaseConfigurationManager not available. , Exception = ]

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jaap van der Veen August 25, 2017

I solved the issue of not starting by reinstalling Jira Core.

Gopal Kasat August 20, 2021

Hello Jaap van der Veen,

I am facing the same issue. Could you let me know how you done reinstallation of Jira Core. My Jira Server is on CentOS 7 Linux

Gopal

Suggest an answer