Jira automation transition based on linked issue

Has April 7, 2020

Annotation 2020-04-07 120311.png

Hi all,

We would like to do the following in our automation project.

Transition the status from resolved to closed when the linked issue status has been set to resolved.

We can also ready do this for the Jira helpdesk automation, but I am not able to found out how to do this in Jira Software. (see printscreen)

Let me know if you know more. 

Thank you

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2020

Hello @Has 

This is how I was able to accomplish this.

linked.jpg

Has April 8, 2020

Is this done by the the usual way or with the Jira Automation addon?

Thank you for letting me know

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2020

This was done using Automation For Jira. If you go to Project > Settings, then scroll towards the bottom and choose Project Automation. 

Like # people like this
Ming Han Chung August 5, 2020

Can those linked issues be from another project @edwin vasquez 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2020

Sure. 

I guess i found out why I couldn't. It is pretty restrictive that it seems only the Global Admin can make those type of changes? What if you just had admin on the multiple boards needed.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2020

You need to have Jira administrator permissions for Global Automation rules and Project Administration permissions for Automation rules that run against a single project. 

Jason August 25, 2023

Is there a way to run this automation when ALL related issues are update?  I have a scenario where I have more than 1 issue linked to a parent issue and only want the automation to run when all child issues are updated.

1 vote

Can you have this triggered from linked issues that are from other projects?

0 votes
Jason August 25, 2023

Is there a way to only trigger the transition if all linked issues are updated?  I have a scenario where more than 1 issue can be linked to a parent issue, and I only want the automation to fire when all child issues are updated.

0 votes
sekhar reddy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2023

Hi @Has 

Use can try with JMWE plugin "Transition Issues(s)"Post-Function option to transition the current issues based on the Linked Issues transition. This Post-function has to added in the Linked Issues workflow

JMWE.PNG

0 votes
Crystal Baker October 5, 2022

My trigger isn't working. I wonder if it's due to this bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-40597 ? I am trying to set up a different trigger as a workaround (leaving a comment as the linked issue moves thru workflow), but it seems like a lot of work given the known problem with tranisiton triggers. Anyone else have any ideas? 

0 votes
Parvaneh Zand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2020

Hi @Has ,

You need to install Automation for Jira  plugin for your Software Projects. Then you'll be able to add automation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events