Jira automation not picking up changes on subtasks?

zilvinas.mickus February 25, 2021

Have been working for a while now with Automation for Jira and recently users started complaining about rules not being executed as expected.

Long story short- a few rules are built on Status changes on SubTask Issue type issues. 
Previously it worked as expected, but not they do not show up on Audit log for these rules even. 

Anyone experienced something similar? 

Any help is much appreciated! 

Untitled.png

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

Can you take a look at the audit log for a sub-task issue transition where you feel it should execute and share your findings? If the audit is unclear we may wish to add some “log action” to the rule to capture info.

zilvinas.mickus February 25, 2021

Sure- I would add something- but the logs are completely empty- changes are not being picked up by the rule. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2021

Hi @zilvinas.mickus 

I noticed that you selected the option Allow rule trigger in the details.  Do you have another rule that is intended to lead to this one firing?

If so, is that earlier triggering and processing as expected?

Best regards,

Bill

zilvinas.mickus February 28, 2021

Hey @Bill Sheboy thank you for your time- yes, it is taken in by another rule, but that one is performing as expected.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2021

Thanks for that information, @zilvinas.mickus 

Let's try this... These steps should rule out starting condition problems and permissions.

• Disable the rule that has the problem/symptom
  • Clone/copy the disabled rule, changing the trigger to manual, and enable it.  Confirm the rule actor (in details) is who you expect.
  • Create a test issue, ready to trigger the rule.  (You can delete or abandon it later.)  If you have no role in the project for the rule, ask someone in the project to create the test issue.
  • Perform the conditions that lead to that first rule you note firing for the test issue. You should now be in a starting point that would lead to the problem rule not firing
  • Stop and look around to confirm what you expect for entry conditions in the test issue
  • Now run the cloned rule manual and see what happens

Best regards,

Bill

Tobias F July 2, 2021

Hello! Running into a similar issue. To troubleshoot, I created an automation rule based on status transition. It triggers properly when the issue transitioned is a story, but doesn't trigger for a sub-task.

I have noticed that the sub-task doesn't have an activity entry for the In Progress transition, yet the story does (Stories and subtasks operate through different workflows in our project). What's happening here?

Tobias F July 2, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.35.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.35.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.36.37 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Hi Tobias,

First let me state that you really should create a new question in these cases. The reason is that only those individuals that are part of this current post will even see your question. So that limits you to about three people in this case whereas if you post a new question you’ll have hundreds and hundreds of community leaders and members.

with that said and just taking a quick glance it what you posted (I have noticed that the sub-task doesn't have an activity entry for the In Progress transition) my guess is that your sub task workflow does not have an in progress status. If that is indeed the case then this rule will not trigger at all because you’re not transitioning to in progress. Basically if your rule isn’t triggering it all then the sub task isn’t moving from to do two in progress. Now if your role is Triggering but not executing that’s likely due to a condition or something with your action.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events