Jira and confluence db on the same mysql 5.7 server

Engin Yoruker September 13, 2019

Hi,

Trying to install jira and confluence db on the same mysql 5.7 server. The case is, in the docs it says:

If you plan to set up Confluence and Jira on the same MySQL server, read the Confluence MySQL setup guide. Confluence requirements are more strict than Jira's, so you should configure MySQL to suit Confluence. This configuration will work for Jira, too.

If i follow confluence mysql cnf config in the docs, i have to use character-set-server=utf8 in the mysql cnf file. But in this case, jira can't use the database and asks for utf8mb4  although its db collation is correct.  Anything missing in the docs or am i missing something?

At the end, if i want to unite the databases on one server, what should be real mysql cnf?

Thanks

Engin

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2019

@Engin Yorukerthis is big issue.

If you create utf8mb4 database Confluence might start, but it is not currently mentioned in documentation but resolved as issue (CONFSERVER-32453). And on the other hand Jira need utf8mb4, it is not going to work with just utf8 (it will give you warnings and errors in Health Check). So I suggest go with utf8mb4 for both Jira and Confluence.

If you can change database type, I suggest you to use Postgres, it has least number of issues reported, and I am running my Jira and Confluence on this for 8+ years (with number of updates) on it. Whereas, on one test site where I was using MySQL I had to split up, first because of MariaDB, and then 5.6 and 5.7 (UTF8 and UTF8MB4) issues.

Engin Yoruker September 16, 2019

Seems choosing utf8mb4  solved the case for both Jira and Confluence dbs on the same mysql 5.7 server. Confluence didn't yell at the test page..Thank you..

Suggest an answer