Jira Subtasks do not update parents Time Spent....

Lee Fear October 27, 2013

I have a task which is split into 4 subtasks. Thes have been completed and had their time spent and remaining time updated. However the parent tasks time spent is still zero and seems to require me to manually update it! Surely it should inherit the sum of the time spent on its subtasks?

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2013

Hi Lee,

The time spent that you logged on the sub tasks will be added to the total Logged time (the 3th bar in the above example). It will not be deducted from the Estimated Time (1st bar in the example) logged on the parent, this is not how this functionality behaves.

Some more information can be found here : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/28328/jira-and-sub-tasks and here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+Work+on+an+Issue

Best regards,

Peter

aH, if I close the task manually it lets me do it without updating the time spent on the parent task. However if the last subtask is completed it springs up a screen asking to close the parent task and will not let me close it without manually entering a time spent....

Tal Rotem March 17, 2014

Peter,

If we remove the effort from the main top-level task or story, it then shows no estimation on the planning board lines. Shouldn't it show the overall estimation (including sub-tasks) even when the parent line effort is empty at planning mode?

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2013

Hi Lee,

You should be able to select "Include Subtasks" on the right below the estimations of the parent task. Keep in mind that you can also log work on the parent task (independent from the sub tasks)

Best regards,

Peter

There is no such option on the view I have. Is this in the Edit Task screen?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2013

No, just in the main detail view of an issue, like this :

Like Patrice Pithon likes this

Ok, I have found it. However it is already ticked. So it clearly does not work.... This surely has to be simple. All I need is the parent task to auto update with its childrens time spent.... To close a parent issue I should not have to remember how long I have spent on all its subtasks.

Suggest an answer