Jira. Some notifications are not sent.

it February 8, 2021

Good afternoon.
Users from a couple of projects who have a common notification scheme complain that they do not get some notifications (different cases, made user an asigne - and did not receive a message about it, another time one of comment did not come from a several comments under the issue).
I put the notification scheme on another project, tried to reproduce the actions described by users, and all notifications came for me.
There is nothing in the message queue for the tasks mentioned by the users.
I looked in the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log logs, there are only error messages. I go to Logging and profiling settings and set up- The Outgoing mail debug log is currently turned ON.
So, Debug. There were a lot of logs, but I did not find any information about the cases of non-sending notification for issues that I knew about. I search for the tasks that were complained about, I find a description of the entire dialog with the SMTP server. In thousands of lines - but went away email with notification or not, or why it did not go away - it is not clear.
So, I have a few questions.
1) Are there any settings on the user profile that allow you to somehow influence the sending of notifications (other than the standard ones in the user profile "My Changes: notify me\Do not notify me)?
2) Is it possible to build a logging level for the mail server in jira, so that every email is recorded? That is, in the debag mode, a lot of garbage is written, in the nondebag mode, only errors are written.
In WEB-INF/classes/log4j. properties, there is a standard default "INFO" setting- but it doesn't seem to apply, because only errors are written.
3) Is there any other way to get information about notifications in jira? Can some level of logging be set up in the Logging and profiling setting?
4) Any other ideas on how to solve this problem and what to do.

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

@it 

Start with the notification helper in Jira.  This is a great way to ensure that the notification is going to the user for the specified criteria.  Start there and see what is happening.

it February 11, 2021

Yes, I checked through the notification helper. For all cases that users complained about, it showed that they have access to notifications.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

I would suggest creating an issue with those users on the issue and recreating the scenarios that they complained about and see if they get the email.   If the notification helper is stating that they are getting an email Jira will be sending one out.  In the past I have seen users miss emails because they get a lot of emails from Jira or they did not see it in the batch notification. Do you have batch notifications on?

There are also times when they will not get a notification, for instance if they trigger the even.  Jira will not notify you if you transition, make a comment, etc on and issue.

Can you also confirm that this is for Jira Server.  

it February 12, 2021

Yeah, our jira is self-hosted, but type is datacenter. But I don't think it's take a influence to this case.

Yes, some of the missed messages were due to inattention (several messages in 1 email). But some messages really weren't there (I independently checked in users ' mailboxes).

I repeated the scenarios described by users (although I did it in a test project, which I applied their notification scheme to, as far as I can imagine, there is no other scheme or setting in jira that would rewrite the behavior of the notification scheme, so such a test can be considered similar) and for several dozen of my attempts to reproduce the problem, the problem did not repeat.

"if they trigger the event." - Do you mean that they do not receive notifications about the actions they performed themselves, from under their user? Then yes, I understand that. If it something else, please tell us more.

But the problem is that another user makes someone assignee and the one who was made assignee does not receive a notification about it. Sometimes. Accidentally. And someone writes a comment and the other person doesn't get it. Here, of course, there is a point that some of the information I get from the words of users and they may just be confused and not notice something, but I checked 1 case on my own and I am sure that there was no notification.

Suggest an answer