Jira Software - service won't start

phuddleston@library.msstate.edu July 19, 2018

We have a locally hosted server.  It is running JIRA, JIRA service desk, confluence and BitBucket.  They are all operating on different ports.  This is a Windows 2016 Server and we are using PostGRE SQL.  It appears that bitbucket, elasticsearch for bitbucket, confluence and JIRA are all installed as a service.

Everything was working, but was slow.  Eventually, the web interface stopped responding and we could not access it.  After looking at the server, the JIRA software was using over 2 GB memory and 80% CPU of the computer.  There are 4 cores @2.6 GHZ.

We tried to stop the service, but it would not stop.  After waiting a long time, we restarted the server.  After that, only the confluence service restarted.  All of the others quickly respond saying: Atlassian JIRA service terminated with the following service-specific error: Incorrect function.  EventID:7024

The co

1 answer

3 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2018

Hello,

Can you try running Jira using the bat file which is located here using command prompt - 
$JIRA_INSTALL/bin/start-jira.bat

This should bypass the service and run Jira, if this starts then it could mean that the Jira service on Windows may have been corrupted and the service may need to be recreated by following the instructions here -Running Jira application as a Windows service.

If this works I would recommend the you remove the service from Windows via command prompt (run as administrator) using the command -

service.bat remove JIRA

Or if above does not work use -

tomcat8 //DS//JIRA

Then install the service again with -

service.bat install JIRA

Then try starting Jira again from the services, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Earl

phuddleston@library.msstate.edu July 23, 2018

We were able to get things started with the batch files.  It seems that there was something that had happened to mess up the Java versions from what were installed compared to what was in the path.

I have not yet removed the old and installed new services.  I will report back when that is complete.

Thank you.

Paul

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Harikanth October 4, 2019

Earl McCutcheon,

Thanks! It's worked for me 

Best Regards,

Harikanth kadhanagal 

Mark Ahnell November 27, 2019

I was getting an Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly when starting Atlassian Jira and the unistall and reinstall of the service worked!  Thanks!

David Oliván December 27, 2021

When uninstallin gservice, service name could include a number, like JIRA100520103045, so the command sould be:

service.bat remove JIRA100520103045

Same applies IMHO whe creating the service again:

service.bat install JIRA100520103045

Suggest an answer